Too many calculators?
10-18-2023, 12:12 PM
RE: Too many calculators?
(10-04-2023 09:36 PM)Peter Klein Wrote:  Thanks for all the replies so far. Wow, you folks are a bunch of “enablers.” I like that. ;-)

Plan A: I’m leaning towards buying a DM42 for programming, simply because it can store and retrieve programs from a PC. Could I also send and receive the same programs to Free42 on my iPhone? Am I correct that the 42s, DM42 and free42 do not not have an equation library like the 32sii and 33s, so equations have to be stored as programs? But that this hardly matters because the 42s has alpha and 2-digit labels and more memory? Also, that the 42s solver only works with equations written in RPN? How much does that matter? After all, I “speak” RPN.

Plan B would be to buy a DM32, because I’m more familiar with the 32sii. But that loses the ability interchange programs with Free42. Then again, a little creative search and replace on labels might mitigate that.

Other thoughts: It’s too bad the original 32sii has so little memory. AFAIK, the 33s can store many equations without using up labels or running out of program memory. But it has a different keyboard layout

I’m keeping my 11c for nostalgia reasons, and because it probably will outlive me. But I have no practical desire for a 15c. The Voyager keyboard is too small for my big hands to “touch type” numbers.

I’ll probably sell off my 48s and 48G, and my original-display 33s. I never use them.

Speaking of nostalgia, I forgot to mention that I still have my original HP-25 (not C). The calculation part still works, but the RAM chips don’t. So no storage registers and no programming. And a couple of keys are intermittent. And I just read about the Panamatik repair kit here. Hmmm. Do I want to go down that rabbit hole?

-Peter

Go with your gut, with the programming system you most like. I'm more a DM42 person, but I will eventually own a DM32 as well.

And welcome to the Club of Calculator Collectors!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)