Can the spreadsheet salvage the 991CW
09-12-2023, 02:29 AM
Can the spreadsheet salvage the 991CW
Hi all.

With Casio’s fx-991CW hitting the skids by Casio avoiding making it a sequel to the EX Classiwiz, do you consider the spreadsheet an acceptable alternative to the multi-statement : operator? Even though there are several other ways Casio dropped the ball, does the spreadsheet make up for at least some of the absences?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2023, 02:51 AM
RE: Can the spreadsheet salvage the 991CW
(09-12-2023 02:29 AM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  Hi all.

With Casio’s fx-991CW hitting the skids by Casio avoiding making it a sequel to the EX Classiwiz, do you consider the spreadsheet an acceptable alternative to the multi-statement : operator? Even though there are several other ways Casio dropped the ball, does the spreadsheet make up for at least some of the absences?

While I don't care for its layout, design and lack of certain features, I suspect it will do fine in its intended role in the educational market. The vast number of people that will buy it probably won't miss these features and in some cases are only buying it for its model number.

"Casio - The NCEES approves all fx-115 and fx-991 models for use on its exams. Their policy states that “any Casio calculator must have ‘fx-115 ‘ or ‘fx-991’ in its model name.”"

https://fundamentalsofengineering.com/fe...ators.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-12-2023, 03:25 AM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2023 03:34 AM by Matt Agajanian.)
(09-12-2023 02:51 AM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  While I don't care for its layout, design and lack of certain features, I suspect it will do fine in its intended role in the educational market. The vast number of people that will buy it probably won't miss these features and in some cases are only buying it for its model number.

"Casio - The NCEES approves all fx-115 and fx-991 models for use on its exams. Their policy states that “any Casio calculator must have ‘fx-115 ‘ or ‘fx-991’ in its model name.”"

https://fundamentalsofengineering.com/fe...ators.html

That certainly explains the 'pretty much' standardization of 991 and 115 model numbers.

Nice to see HP in the list (I guess that makes the glitches a non issue maybe because students wouldn’t encounter a situation that provokes the glitches.)
09-26-2023, 08:48 AM
991 CW has a quirk which will catch out those who are familiar with the SD button on other CASIOs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qSfuhZSh28
09-26-2023, 10:19 AM (This post was last modified: 09-26-2023 10:22 AM by Matt Agajanian.)
(09-26-2023 08:48 AM)Quadratica Wrote:  991 CW has a quirk which will catch out those who are familiar with the SD button on other CASIOs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qSfuhZSh28

As I’ve replied in a similar thread elsewhere, even though it seems odd to use the operation in the first place (but that’s just me), Casio should either release an upgraded model, or, better yet, discontinue the CW and release a 991EX Classwiz 2nd Edition instead.
09-26-2023, 01:51 PM
(09-12-2023 02:29 AM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  Hi all.

Don't expect full Excel: the spreadsheet has a size limit of 5 columns and 45 rows. Spreadsheet functions include Min, Max, Mean, and Sum. Math functions can be used. We also get absolute cell references ($). The ON key and turning the calculator off clears the spreadsheet.

The fx-991EX also has this spreadsheet, but the fx-991CW increases the memory from about 1700 bytes to 2380 bytes.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-28-2023, 12:04 AM
DING DING DING! I’m shocked I didn’t think of it before, the HP-27S!! I almost forgot it has something similar with its multi-statement function which coincidentally also uses the colon. I think that’s an equivalent, if not better solution to the CW missing the : operator.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)