Is Sharp even in the running.
08-26-2023, 01:23 AM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2023 01:25 AM by Eddie W. Shore.)
RE: Is Sharp even in the running.
Texas Instruments: Bring the TI-30X ProMathPrint to the United States and expand the complex numbers to include trig and exponential functions. Better yet, add an alpha key.

Casio: Please go back to using an alpha key. Also, for the next calculator, bring back the multi-statement colon [ : ] and add programming capability like the fx-3650P or fx-50f II.

Sharp: Need a more user friendly interface, and bring back the formula storage.

HP/Morovia: I'll be happy with a basic solar RPN calculator for a start: like the HP 45 from 1973 or even a HP 10C.

Canon: Are you still in the calculator game?

Victor: This could be your chance.

Calculated Industries: Solar powered Tradesman Calc (Tradesperson?), this time adding logarithms, basic stair, volume, and Ohm's Law calculations?

All of the above: Will (partially-)solar-powered graphing calculators be next? Time Value of Money will be a plus.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-28-2023, 07:01 PM
TI is superior on educational market since 36X Pro and there are superb features included in these scientific models (eg. differentiation by ANY variable in Classic mode) or SUM() can handle numbers in polar form and many more.

TI-36X Pro is like 83/84 without graphics and one of the best (IMHO the best) scientific model. Other manufacturers can't beat this capability (yet).

I can imagine a (TI?) model with QR and a camera on back to share QR directly from unit-to-unit and/or from monitor-to-unit.

Only a little programmability is required for TIs and they are done.

Cs.
Find all posts by this user
09-01-2023, 09:14 PM
I always thought Sharp were ahead of Casio when I was going through school. This was my first calculator in primary/middle school:

Sharp EL-531GH

And I think it was superior to the equivalent casio which everyone else had:

Casio FX-82LB Fraction

The Sharp had a better algebraic mode, where brackets and multiple/divide had precedence over +/-. The Casio was almost an RPN device except for +/-. The Sharp was also the first calculator I came across to have a menu system.

Later on I got this Sharp:

Sharp EL-556L

And at the time, the equivalent secondary school Casio was similar to this one:

Casio FX-115W

The Sharp had an algebraic mode which effectively allowed formulas to be entered. Casio now had got algebraic notation fairly figured, but I felt the Sharp still had the edge due to its ability with formulas. It had constants, conversions, and I think it might have solved polynomials too.

I don't know why everyone still bought Casio back then. I guess people felt you couldn't go wrong with a Casio as it was effectively the standard.
10-08-2023, 09:23 PM
(08-15-2023 06:23 PM)klesl Wrote:  It is interesting the smath studio get the integral of e^(x^3) between the limits of 0 and 6 wrong also and same as the Sharp calcs - 7.4662×10^91

Hmm. Both my Sharp EL-W506T and Smath also get the same result for the integral of sin((2*pi)/x) between 0.01 and 0.1. That result is also very wrong.

It's a shame that integration's so borked, because otherwise the Sharp isn't bad for the price it can be had for. It's reasonably quick for a lot of calculations (between the fx-991ex and cw), and it's quite capable. It does feel rather dated though.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)