[48] how to simplify derivative?
07-15-2023, 09:11 PM (This post was last modified: 07-15-2023 10:41 PM by grbrum.)
[48] how to simplify derivative?
I need help to simplify derivative of sin(x)/(1+cos(x))
Try it out.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-16-2023, 08:53 AM
RE: [48] how to simplify derivative?
I assume that you are familiar with calculating the derivative on the HP-48G:

\(
\begin{matrix}
\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} x} \frac{\sin(x))}{1 + \cos(x)} = \frac{\cos(x)}{1 + \cos(x)}-\frac{\sin(x) \left(-\sin(x)\right)}{\left(1 + \cos(x)\right)^2} \\
\end{matrix}
\)

We have to cheat a bit and use the following identities:

\(
\begin{matrix}
\sin(x)^2 + \cos(x)^2 &=& 1 \\
\left(1 + \cos(x)\right)^2 &=& \left(1 + \cos(x)\right) \cdot \left(1 + \cos(x)\right)
\end{matrix}
\)

Therefore we put everything on the stack for the later substitutions:

3: 1
2: '(1+COS(X))*(1+COS(X))'
1: 'COS(X)/(1+COS(X))-SIN(X)*-SIN(X)/(1+COS(X))^2'

Now we can enter the equation editor by pressing the ▼ key.
Select the expression \(\left(1 + \cos(x)\right)^2\) and use REPL to replace it with \(\left(1 + \cos(x)\right) \cdot \left(1 + \cos(x)\right)\).

Select this whole expression:

\(
\begin{matrix}
\frac{\sin(x) \left(-\sin(x)\right)}{\left(1 + \cos(x)\right) \cdot \left(1 + \cos(x)\right)}
\end{matrix}
\)

Use ←A to associate left which leaves us with:

\(
\begin{matrix}
\frac{\cos(x)}{1 + \cos(x)}-\frac{\frac{\sin(x) \left(-\sin(x)\right)}{\left(1 + \cos(x)\right)}}{\left(1 + \cos(x)\right)}
\end{matrix}
\)

Use ←→ to commute the arguments:

\(
\begin{matrix}
\frac{\cos(x)}{1 + \cos(x)}-\text{inv}\left(1 + \cos(x)\right) \frac{\sin(x) \left(-\sin(x)\right)}{\left(1 + \cos(x)\right)}
\end{matrix}
\)

We do the same on the left expression as well:

\(
\begin{matrix}
\text{inv}\left(1 + \cos(x)\right) \cdot \cos(x) -\text{inv}\left(1 + \cos(x)\right) \cdot \frac{\sin(x) \left(-\sin(x)\right)}{\left(1 + \cos(x)\right)}
\end{matrix}
\)

This allows using ←M to merge-factors-left:

\(
\begin{matrix}
\text{inv}\left(1 + \cos(x)\right) \cdot \left(\cos(x) - \frac{\sin(x) \left(-\sin(x)\right)}{\left(1 + \cos(x)\right)}\right)
\end{matrix}
\)

Now we can use AF to add the fractions:

\(
\begin{matrix}
\text{inv}\left(1 + \cos(x)\right) \cdot \frac{\left(\left(1 + \cos(x)\right) \cdot \cos(x) - \sin(x) \left(-\sin(x)\right)\right)}{\left(1 + \cos(x)\right)}
\end{matrix}
\)

We use ←D to distribute-left the expression: \(\left(1 + \cos(x)\right) \cdot \cos(x)\) to end up with:

\(
\begin{matrix}
\text{inv}\left(1 + \cos(x)\right) \cdot \frac{1 \cdot \cos(x) + \cos(x) \cdot \cos(x) - \sin(x) \left(-\sin(x)\right)}{\left(1 + \cos(x)\right)}
\end{matrix}
\)

With COLCT we can clean that up a bit:

\(
\begin{matrix}
\text{inv}\left(1 + \cos(x)\right) \cdot \frac{\cos(x)^2 + \sin(x)^2 + \cos(x)}{\left(1 + \cos(x)\right)}
\end{matrix}
\)

Now we substitute \(\cos(x)^2 + \sin(x)^2\) by \(1\) using the REPL command again:

\(
\begin{matrix}
\text{inv}\left(1 + \cos(x)\right) \cdot \frac{1 + \cos(x)}{\left(1 + \cos(x)\right)}
\end{matrix}
\)

We can now use COLCT on the fraction and then on the whole expression and end up with:

\(
\begin{matrix}
\frac{1}{1 + \cos(x)}
\end{matrix}
\)

The result is then:

1: '1/(1+COS(X))'

Conclusion

The equation writer is severely limited:
  • the ←M command works only for multiplication but not for division
  • the AF command doesn't consider the least common denominator
  • I haven't figured out a way to expand \((a+b)^2\) to \((a+b)(a+b)\)
  • it doesn't know about trigonometric identities

This makes it close to useless.
07-16-2023, 10:46 AM (This post was last modified: 07-16-2023 10:46 AM by Gilles.)
(07-16-2023 08:53 AM)Thomas Klemm Wrote:  The equation writer is severely limited:

Hi, with the 49-50g, its easy, you select the portion of the equition that you want manipulate and then :
1/ expand \((a+b)^2\) to \((a+b)(a+b)\)
In the equation writer juste push soft menu FACTO
2/[*] it doesn't know about trigonometric identities
In the EQW choose Right Shift TRIG and then there are a lot of possibilité (TCOLLECT, TEXPAND etc.)
07-16-2023, 09:57 PM
Thank you. I love your explanation. I will study it carefully. I guess the 48 can’t see the sin(x)2+cos(x)2 =1. And the answer is super crazy.
Thank you.

(07-16-2023 08:53 AM)Thomas Klemm Wrote:  I assume that you are familiar with calculating the derivative on the HP-48G:

\(
\begin{matrix}
\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} x} \frac{\sin(x))}{1 + \cos(x)} = \frac{\cos(x)}{1 + \cos(x)}-\frac{\sin(x) \left(-\sin(x)\right)}{\left(1 + \cos(x)\right)^2} \\
\end{matrix}
\)

We have to cheat a bit and use the following identities:

\(
\begin{matrix}
\sin(x)^2 + \cos(x)^2 &=& 1 \\
\left(1 + \cos(x)\right)^2 &=& \left(1 + \cos(x)\right) \cdot \left(1 + \cos(x)\right)
\end{matrix}
\)

Therefore we put everything on the stack for the later substitutions:

3: 1
2: '(1+COS(X))*(1+COS(X))'
1: 'COS(X)/(1+COS(X))-SIN(X)*-SIN(X)/(1+COS(X))^2'

Now we can enter the equation editor by pressing the ▼ key.
Select the expression \(\left(1 + \cos(x)\right)^2\) and use REPL to replace it with \(\left(1 + \cos(x)\right) \cdot \left(1 + \cos(x)\right)\).

Select this whole expression:

\(
\begin{matrix}
\frac{\sin(x) \left(-\sin(x)\right)}{\left(1 + \cos(x)\right) \cdot \left(1 + \cos(x)\right)}
\end{matrix}
\)

Use ←A to associate left which leaves us with:

\(
\begin{matrix}
\frac{\cos(x)}{1 + \cos(x)}-\frac{\frac{\sin(x) \left(-\sin(x)\right)}{\left(1 + \cos(x)\right)}}{\left(1 + \cos(x)\right)}
\end{matrix}
\)

Use ←→ to commute the arguments:

\(
\begin{matrix}
\frac{\cos(x)}{1 + \cos(x)}-\text{inv}\left(1 + \cos(x)\right) \frac{\sin(x) \left(-\sin(x)\right)}{\left(1 + \cos(x)\right)}
\end{matrix}
\)

We do the same on the left expression as well:

\(
\begin{matrix}
\text{inv}\left(1 + \cos(x)\right) \cdot \cos(x) -\text{inv}\left(1 + \cos(x)\right) \cdot \frac{\sin(x) \left(-\sin(x)\right)}{\left(1 + \cos(x)\right)}
\end{matrix}
\)

This allows using ←M to merge-factors-left:

\(
\begin{matrix}
\text{inv}\left(1 + \cos(x)\right) \cdot \left(\cos(x) - \frac{\sin(x) \left(-\sin(x)\right)}{\left(1 + \cos(x)\right)}\right)
\end{matrix}
\)

Now we can use AF to add the fractions:

\(
\begin{matrix}
\text{inv}\left(1 + \cos(x)\right) \cdot \frac{\left(\left(1 + \cos(x)\right) \cdot \cos(x) - \sin(x) \left(-\sin(x)\right)\right)}{\left(1 + \cos(x)\right)}
\end{matrix}
\)

We use ←D to distribute-left the expression: \(\left(1 + \cos(x)\right) \cdot \cos(x)\) to end up with:

\(
\begin{matrix}
\text{inv}\left(1 + \cos(x)\right) \cdot \frac{1 \cdot \cos(x) + \cos(x) \cdot \cos(x) - \sin(x) \left(-\sin(x)\right)}{\left(1 + \cos(x)\right)}
\end{matrix}
\)

With COLCT we can clean that up a bit:

\(
\begin{matrix}
\text{inv}\left(1 + \cos(x)\right) \cdot \frac{\cos(x)^2 + \sin(x)^2 + \cos(x)}{\left(1 + \cos(x)\right)}
\end{matrix}
\)

Now we substitute \(\cos(x)^2 + \sin(x)^2\) by \(1\) using the REPL command again:

\(
\begin{matrix}
\text{inv}\left(1 + \cos(x)\right) \cdot \frac{1 + \cos(x)}{\left(1 + \cos(x)\right)}
\end{matrix}
\)

We can now use COLCT on the fraction and then on the whole expression and end up with:

\(
\begin{matrix}
\frac{1}{1 + \cos(x)}
\end{matrix}
\)

The result is then:

1: '1/(1+COS(X))'

Conclusion

The equation writer is severely limited:
  • the ←M command works only for multiplication but not for division
  • the AF command doesn't consider the least common denominator

07-17-2023, 07:44 AM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2023 07:45 AM by Gilles.)
There is no native CAS with the 48 serie (49-50 got it). I never used it, but I think that if you want to do this kind of thing on a 48, you can use erable library
07-18-2023, 07:54 PM
(07-16-2023 08:53 AM)Thomas Klemm Wrote:  

You can use the MATCH↓ and MATCH↑ commands to create your own functions to carry out these transformations.
07-18-2023, 08:35 PM
(07-18-2023 07:54 PM)BruceH Wrote:  
(07-16-2023 08:53 AM)Thomas Klemm Wrote:  

You can use the MATCH↓ and MATCH↑ commands to create your own functions to carry out these transformations.

… the hard way! Smile

Bruno
Sanyo CZ-0124 ⋅ TI-57 ⋅ HP-15C ⋅ Canon X-07 + XP-140 Monitor Card ⋅ HP-41CX ⋅ HP-28S ⋅ HP-50G ⋅ HP-50G
07-19-2023, 12:59 AM
(07-18-2023 07:54 PM)BruceH Wrote:  You can use the MATCH↓ and MATCH↑ commands to create your own functions to carry out these transformations.

The second argument would be for instance:

{'(&Z)^2' '&Z*&Z'}

This can be done before entering the equation editor.

Not sure about the trigonometric identity though.
It seems easier to replace the sum by 1 manually in the editor than writing a pattern.
But then you'd have to know in advance that you will need this value and put it on the stack.
07-19-2023, 11:33 PM
The MATCH commands return a test result to say whether a match occurred or not. So for trigonometric identities you would, I presume, create a program that tries several identities in succession, noting which succeed, and then, based on that information, decide which one or ones were the appropriate ones to apply.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)