Adhesive vinyl overlays - C47 & WP43 (DM42), WP3xS, DB48X, newRPL variants available!
09-01-2023, 07:43 PM
RE: Adhesive vinyl overlays - C47 & WP43 (DM42), WP3xS, DB48X, newRPL variants ava...
(09-01-2023 07:21 PM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  
(09-01-2023 04:01 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  NOTE: I have also lost the ability to post in the swissmicros forum due to my IP being blacklisted. I am not sure what is going on, as I can't find any malware on my network. I have requested removal from said blacklist but I don't know if it will be successful.

If anyone active in the SM forum has any insights, I would appreciate them!

I have recently started having the same issue from my home ISP. spamhaus.org is reporting "Your IP address is either exhibiting suspect behavior, is misconfigured, or has a poor sending reputation."

I now have to use my phone over its 4G/5G network to post to the SwissMicros forum.
Same error for me...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2023, 07:48 PM
RE: Adhesive vinyl overlays - C47 & WP43 (DM42), WP3xS, DB48X, newRPL variants ava...
I'm actually wondering if there's a way to force my modem to pull a new IP address from Charter/Spectrum...
09-01-2023, 08:20 PM
(09-01-2023 07:48 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  I'm actually wondering if there's a way to force my modem to pull a new IP address from Charter/Spectrum...

If it's anything like Comcast/Xfinity, just have it unplugged past the DHCP renewal time and you will get a new IP address. In my experience it's always been in a totally different subnet, too, making IP blocks less likely to persist.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2023, 08:21 PM
(09-01-2023 07:48 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  I'm actually wondering if there's a way to force my modem to pull a new IP address from Charter/Spectrum...

Forcing a new IP address seems to have solved the issue (for now). I'm wishing I had looked more closely at my router's state before I forced the change, since the new IP is wildly different than the blocked IP address I was being shown on the SM forum site. New one starts with 172 and the blocked one started with 47.
09-01-2023, 08:23 PM
(09-01-2023 08:20 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  

If it's anything like Comcast/Xfinity, just have it unplugged past the DHCP renewal time and you will get a new IP address. In my experience it's always been in a totally different subnet, too, making IP blocks less likely to persist.

I ended up cloning the mac of my PC to the router and restarted the modem (with router shut down), and then started up the router.

I will probably wait a few days and then reset the router MAC back to its original value.
09-01-2023, 09:55 PM
(09-01-2023 07:21 PM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  
(09-01-2023 04:01 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  NOTE: I have also lost the ability to post in the swissmicros forum due to my IP being blacklisted. I am not sure what is going on, as I can't find any malware on my network. I have requested removal from said blacklist but I don't know if it will be successful.

If anyone active in the SM forum has any insights, I would appreciate them!

I have recently started having the same issue from my home ISP. spamhaus.org is reporting "Your IP address is either exhibiting suspect behavior, is misconfigured, or has a poor sending reputation."

I now have to use my phone over its 4G/5G network to post to the SwissMicros forum.

If your ISP is Spectrum, contact them and insist they change your ISP address; it appears someone there blacklisted a range, or at least a set of multiple IP addresses rather than just individual misbehaving ones, or perhaps one of their systems is detecting false positives and declaring them spam sources.

--Bob Prosperi
09-02-2023, 08:01 AM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2023 08:02 AM by Gilles.)
I have been using the newRPL HP50g overlay for a few weeks and I am very satisfied.

However, I have a remark on one point that bothers me quite a bit: it is the position of the letters which are not on the keys themselves (G to L, M, P) . By default (and therefore on the keys) the letters are positioned on the right of the key. On the overlay, the choice was made to put them on the left and it's quite disturbing even with practice I regularly make mistakes.

Couldn't we (on the main overlay) move the letters which are to the left of the keys to the right of the keys like on the 50g in RPL? We would just have to move the COPY/BEGIN/UNDO texts a little to the right (and a little to the top for COPY) but there seems to be room there. Another solution could be to print G->L on the stick of the key. It may seem like a detail but I think it would be much better and logical with this new positioning.
09-02-2023, 08:43 AM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2023 08:44 AM by Steve Simpkin.)
(09-01-2023 09:55 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(09-01-2023 07:21 PM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  I have recently started having the same issue from my home ISP. spamhaus.org is reporting "Your IP address is either exhibiting suspect behavior, is misconfigured, or has a poor sending reputation."

If your ISP is Spectrum, contact them and insist they change your ISP address; it appears someone there blacklisted a range, or at least a set of multiple IP addresses rather than just individual misbehaving ones, or perhaps one of their systems is detecting false positives and declaring them spam sources.

I live in a somewhat rural area and my ISP is a tiny one-man operation run by a person named John. I have an antenna on my roof that links to a local tower they own. I’ll text John and ask if he can change the external IP address used for my account.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-08-2023, 03:53 AM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2023 03:53 AM by spiff72.)
I am not sure the source, but I did block port 25 on my router, and forced another IP address change. I haven't gotten re-blocked on the SM forum yet.

On a totally different note, would there be any interest out there in an overlay for a 3D printed case for the PX15C DIY calculator? I designed a modified case (based on the one created by the designer of the kit) to work with the "tall button" version I bought from Tindie here:
https://www.tindie.com/products/hobbysto...-emulator/

This overlay is designed to fit the case I made, which I will make available on Thingiverse soon. My case is taller and has different keys than the one from the designer because that one is designed to work with the short switch version.

https://imgur.com/gallery/g23QNgE
09-08-2023, 03:58 AM
(09-02-2023 08:01 AM)Gilles Wrote:  I have been using the newRPL HP50g overlay for a few weeks and I am very satisfied.

However, I have a remark on one point that bothers me quite a bit: it is the position of the letters which are not on the keys themselves (G to L, M, P) . By default (and therefore on the keys) the letters are positioned on the right of the key. On the overlay, the choice was made to put them on the left and it's quite disturbing even with practice I regularly make mistakes.

Couldn't we (on the main overlay) move the letters which are to the left of the keys to the right of the keys like on the 50g in RPL? We would just have to move the COPY/BEGIN/UNDO texts a little to the right (and a little to the top for COPY) but there seems to be room there. Another solution could be to print G->L on the stick of the key. It may seem like a detail but I think it would be much better and logical with this new positioning.

I never even noticed that inconsistency. I can look into this. Those labels for COPY and UNDO could probably shift over to the right a bit, and maybe the PASTE and SWAP labels shift equally to the left for symmetry around the direction buttons.
09-08-2023, 04:01 AM
And apologies for late response to some comments here. My email notifications for this thread seemed to shut off... I just removed the subscription and re-submitted it hoping it solves the issue.
09-09-2023, 12:37 AM
Quick update:

I have now updated the HP50g/40gs/39gs newRPL overlays to include the changes suggested by Gilles.

The alpha letters have all been shifted to the RH side of the keys on the overlay background to be consistent with the letters that appear on the keys of the HP50g. I could have left them alone on the 39gs and 40gs, but for consistency I moved them too. Here's a peek:
https://imgur.com/gallery/cesJtZk
09-09-2023, 08:32 PM
(09-08-2023 03:53 AM)spiff72 Wrote:  I am not sure the source, but I did block port 25 on my router, and forced another IP address change. I haven't gotten re-blocked on the SM forum yet.

On a totally different note, would there be any interest out there in an overlay for a 3D printed case for the PX15C DIY calculator? I designed a modified case (based on the one created by the designer of the kit) to work with the "tall button" version I bought from Tindie here:

This overlay is designed to fit the case I made, which I will make available on Thingiverse soon. My case is taller and has different keys than the one from the designer because that one is designed to work with the short switch version.

Alternatively, I just made an overlay that fits over the aluminum faceplate to add color and (I think) improved readability):
https://imgur.com/gallery/W25ClX4
10-12-2023, 02:18 AM
DB48x/DB50x UPDATE:

Due to some changes that were included in the v0.4.6 release, I have had to make some adjustments to the DB48x overlays which will render any existing overlays provided prior to now obsolete. (I am sorry for this, but I did include a disclaimer stating that this project was still in very early development stages and that things were subject to change).

In addition to the layout changes, I have worked closely with @c3d to get things tuned and refined over the previous version. I think the changes were well worth it, and the resulting overlay is much better looking than the last version. The last version was really focused on just getting everything sorted and present, while the new version paid a little more attention to graphic design and color refinements. MANY hours of work went into this overlay over the last month or so, and I hope it shows!

The new version is now available for orders (in both the tabbed and adhesive versions) at the same price as before ($7 each). Additionally, there is an additional "DB50x" overlay available for the DM32 variant. The background overlay is identical to the DB48x, with the exception of the logo at the bottom reading DB50x instead of DB48x. The DB50x overlay will include the additional key labels needed to account for the difference between the DM42 and DM32 hardware key labels. Pricing is the same at $7 each.

Here's a photo of the new tabbed DB48x on my own DM42:
https://imgur.com/gallery/Mfxjo7S
10-12-2023, 05:56 PM
[/quote]

Alternatively, I just made an overlay that fits over the aluminum faceplate to add color and (I think) improved readability):
[/quote]

Very nice!
10-13-2023, 01:34 PM
'spiff72 Wrote:On a totally different note, would there be any interest out there in an overlay for a 3D printed case for the PX15C DIY calculator? I designed a modified case (based on the one created by the designer of the kit) to work with the "tall button" version I bought from Tindie here:

I am not planning on building a PX15c any time soon (so take my comments with a HUGE grain of salt!), but if I were, I would definitely want one of these overlays. Very attractive!

In particular, I like the look of the applique that just goes over the aluminum faceplate. It retains the DIY character, but gives it an even more refined and finished appearance.

Oh garsh darn. Annnnd... now I'm gonna have to add this to my to-do list (which is rapidly growing longer than my remaining lifespan, I suspect).

Daily drivers: 15c, 32sII, 35s, 41cx, 48g, WP 34s/31s. Favorite: 16c.
Latest: 15ce, 48s, 50g. Gateway drug: 28s found in yard sale ~2009.
10-13-2023, 01:39 PM
(10-13-2023 01:34 PM)johnb Wrote:  
'spiff72 Wrote:On a totally different note, would there be any interest out there in an overlay for a 3D printed case for the PX15C DIY calculator? I designed a modified case (based on the one created by the designer of the kit) to work with the "tall button" version I bought from Tindie here:

I am not planning on building a PX15c any time soon (so take my comments with a HUGE grain of salt!), but if I were, I would definitely want one of these overlays. Very attractive!

In particular, I like the look of the applique that just goes over the aluminum faceplate. It retains the DIY character, but gives it an even more refined and finished appearance.

Oh garsh darn. Annnnd... now I'm gonna have to add this to my to-do list (which is rapidly growing longer than my remaining lifespan, I suspect).

Thanks!

I also ended up doing similar overlays for the PX41C (which I didn't actually buy - I just flashed the firmware for PX41C to my PX15C).

I prefer the "feel" of the 3d printed case I designed around the taller keys (since the kit I bought was the "tall" key version, the existing 3d printed case that was available didn't work). I stuck with that 3D print case version of the 41C...
10-13-2023, 01:48 PM
Here's some images of the latest variants:
https://imgur.com/gallery/aDvrgNj
10-13-2023, 02:01 PM
By the way...

On the PX41C photo, the EEX and CHS keys are reversed on the aluminum plate overlay version. I copied the images on the Tindie site and later found that a change was made by the developer. They are correct on the 3d printed case photo of the 41C.

I have since fixed this.
10-13-2023, 02:57 PM
(10-13-2023 01:39 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  I prefer the "feel" of the 3d printed case I designed around the taller keys (since the kit I bought was the "tall" key version, the existing 3d printed case that was available didn't work). I stuck with that 3D print case version of the 41C...

Does the "tall key" version just have longer posts on the keys?

I could see how that would be annoying, and how the 3D printed case would be preferable!

Just curious.

Daily drivers: 15c, 32sII, 35s, 41cx, 48g, WP 34s/31s. Favorite: 16c.
Latest: 15ce, 48s, 50g. Gateway drug: 28s found in yard sale ~2009.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)