RPN to Algebraic and viceversa code
06-20-2023, 01:35 AM
RPN to Algebraic and viceversa code
Hello to everyone, I'm new in the world of the HP calculators, but now I'm a big fan to be honest, I'm studying Engineering, and my father-in-law gifted me a HP49G that I use everyday now, It was difficult at the start but now its part of me.

And part of this makes me interested to look for a code to simply pass from RPN to Algebraic mode with a button, as I found a code to pass from Rectangular coordinates to polar coordinates easily.

The code to pass from Rectangular to Polar coordinates is

Code:
<< -15 CF -17 CF -18 CF
IF -16 FS? 0 == THEN
-16 SF ELSE -16 CF END
>>

Source:

You put this code in a variable "R<->P" and in RPN mode changes with a button the coordinates you are working on and in algebraic mode with 2 buttons.

I don't know how to program this calculator, so, I'm asking for helpSad

If anyone can help me with a code that changes from RPN to Algebraic the same way as the code above would be helpful
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-20-2023, 08:41 PM (This post was last modified: 06-20-2023 08:53 PM by Gilles.)
RE: RPN to Algebraic and viceversa code
Hi DarkKnight,

HP49-50 are marvelous calculators. The flag to toggle RPN<->Algebraic is -95

-95 SF -> Algebraic
CF(-95) -> Go to RPN mode

But in my opinion it's a bad idea to toggle this way. In fact all the algebraic mode of the 49-50g is a bad idea lol. I never use it.

If you want to use algebraic expression in RPN mode, just use the ' key. Ex :

'3*SIN(33)/25'
And the press EVAL ou ->NUM

You can also use EQW (i love this, it takes 5 mn to undestand how it works with the doc and then you can manipulate expressions so easily for all your life !) in RPN mode ;D In fact it's very easy tu use algebraic expressions in RPN mode.

06-21-2023, 01:40 AM
Yes, I agree with you about RPN being much better than Algebraic, but as I am new to the calculator, sometimes I need to enter data of the form "1/(1+5i)+1/(2+3i)" in the linear system solver, and I need to do it now already for exams, so while I get used to it and understand how to add those data in RPN mode to the linear solver, I add them algebraically, but outside the solver I manage with RPN completely, so this command helps me to avoid wasting time entering the configuration to change the mode before entering the solver.

And thank you very much for telling me which flag it was, I modified the code above, so it looked like this:

Code:
<< IF -95 FS? 0 == THEN
-95 SF ELSE -95 CF END
>>

and it works perfectly!
06-21-2023, 03:13 PM
(06-21-2023 01:40 AM)DarkKnight Wrote:  (...)
and it works perfectly!

Big Grin

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)