Decimal to fraction conversion and "Intelligent Math"
05-07-2024, 06:15 AM
Decimal to fraction conversion and "Intelligent Math"
I've just updated the firmware of my new G2 to the version 2.1.14730.
And I've enabled "Intelligent Math" option, in the Home view.

Now, for example, if I insert

Code:
52/10

the G2 shows correctly

Code:
26/5

The problem is that if press the "decimal to fraction" button, the first press does nothing. Falls flat.

On the contrary, if the "Intelligent Math" is not enabled, when I insert the same fraction it shows

Code:

and if I press "decimal to fraction" button, the cycle between the conversion is right.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2024, 12:12 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2024 07:51 PM by komame.)
RE: Decimal to fraction conversion and "Intelligent Math"
It seems there is indeed a bug here.

Upon analyzing it a bit more closely, one can notice that without the "Intelligent Math" option active, entering: \(\frac{21}{10}\) in HOME and pressing Enter will result in 2.1
Subsequently, pressing [a b/c] multiple times will alternately display three representations of this value: \(\frac{21}{10};2+\frac{1}{10};2.1\)

In the case where the entered fractional value is less than 1, e.g., \(\frac{9}{10}\), only two representations will appear: 0.9 and \(\frac{9}{10}\). Regardless of which representation is entered first, the subsequent ones are presented in a certain predetermined order – this works fine.

However, when the "Intelligent Math" option is enabled in the settings, the behavior of these cycles seems to depend on which of these values was entered first. For example, if "Intelligent Math" is enabled and we enter 2.1, subsequent presses of [a b/c] will show:
\(\frac{21}{10};2+\frac{1}{10};2.1\), etc... (there are 3 representations in the cycle)
However, if instead of entering 2.1 we first enter the fractional form \(\frac{21}{10}\), the cycle then requires 4 presses of the [a b/c] key, with the \(\frac{21}{10}\) form being displayed twice. This might give the impression that the first press of [a b/c] doesn’t change anything, but when pressed 8 or more times, it can be seen that \(\frac{21}{10}\) appears twice in the cycle.

The situation becomes even more interesting when the entered value is below 1, e.g., \(\frac{9}{10}\). In this case, the cycle also requires 4 presses of the key, and the value \(\frac{9}{10}\) is displayed three times. However, when the value 0.9 is entered, the behavior is correct, and the cycle only has 2 representations (0.9 and \(\frac{9}{10}\)).

It seems that when the "Intelligent Math" option is enabled, using [a b/c] works correctly only when the value is entered in decimal form (with a decimal point). However, when the value is entered as a common fraction, the cycle always has 4 states, even though some of them are repeated.

Piotr Kowalewski
05-09-2024, 04:12 PM
RE: Decimal to fraction conversion and "Intelligent Math"
I've always wondered this. Why can't I find "Intelligent Math" in the on-calc help to learn what it's for?

In help, the only search hit (searched for 'Intel') I get is for Main > Home View > Home Settings > Page 2

However, the help page for that doesn't say a word about this topic. Though, I do have the checkbox setting in my settings.

My firmware version is 2.1.14730 (2023 04 13), Hardware version D

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)