HP-65: uneven feel of the keys
05-24-2023, 05:18 PM
HP-65: uneven feel of the keys
I obtained a 65 in a not that bad visual shape. Of course the card reader didn't work but the display and electronics seemed to work fine, the batt compartment was on the cleaner side, just the keyboard wasn't very reliable - some keys needed effort to register, some were prone to bouncing.

A few days ago I disassembled and cleaned the calculator. I saw no corrosion nor mechanical defects on the keyboard contacts. I gave them a good splash with IPA while softly clicking the domes with a pencil eraser.

Now the keyboard action is much better. All the keys register fine and I don't see much of bouncing, if any at all. Yet I am not completely satisfied. The feel of the keys is uneven, some are softer or mushier and even look a bit sunken. I can live with that, after all the calculator isn't a work tool, it's a toy (just don't tell anyone ;-). However I'd like to ask, is there a simple cure for the uneven keyboard?

Thanks in advance!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-24-2023, 06:09 PM
RE: HP-65: uneven feel of the keys
It is probably metal fatigue after the decades of button mashing. IMO replacing the keyboard domes is not a simple solution and would just live on being happy with the current functionality.

-Bill
05-24-2023, 06:38 PM
(05-24-2023 06:09 PM)BillBee Wrote:  It is probably metal fatigue after the decades of button mashing. IMO replacing the keyboard domes is not a simple solution and would just live on being happy with the current functionality.

-Bill

Agree, but another approach is to locate a dead 65, being sold "For Parts", and salvage the metal dome sheet to replace yours.

--Bob Prosperi
05-24-2023, 07:02 PM
Makes sense, thanks guys!
05-24-2023, 10:21 PM (This post was last modified: 05-24-2023 10:25 PM by teenix.)
There is a method of cleaning or replacing the metal strips in my Classic Notes starting on page 42, but you will need donor strips for replacements.

cheers

Tony

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)