Is the HP-01 worth the effort?
03-26-2023, 06:23 PM
Is the HP-01 worth the effort?
It looks nice but is bulky for everyday use and the chance of scratches or damaging the display would seem to relegate it to a 'storage box queen'. I don't own one, but have considered it over the years when one became available. I'd like to hear the comments of HP01 owners - maybe you can extol its virtues and convince me to buy one. But to be honest, if it had an ENTER instead of an equals sign, I probably would have bought one years ago. -J
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-26-2023, 06:46 PM (This post was last modified: 03-26-2023 06:47 PM by Maximilian Hohmann.)
RE: Is the HP-01 worth the effort?
Hello!

(03-26-2023 06:23 PM)John Garza (3665) Wrote:  It looks nice...

To be honest I don't think that it looks nice. I have spent quite some money to get working ones in gold and stainless steel for the sake of a complete collection, but a nice watch looks different than these. In my opinion. It is a huge brick of a watch, thick and heavy, and only looks remotely interesting when the display is on. Which it isn't most of the time.

(03-26-2023 06:23 PM)John Garza (3665) Wrote:  ... and the chance of scratches or damaging the display would seem to relegate it to a 'storage box queen'.

This is my guess regarding 99,9% of HP-01 watches too: storage box queens. Additonally, it is totally impractical to use because the recessed keys can not be operated with one's fingers. For that you need either the little fiddly tool that clips into the wristband or the "pen" that originally came with every watch. One or both of them is usually missing from most HP-01 watches offered for sale, and even if these tools are included, they often miss their soft plastic tip. Which is essential because otherwise the lettering will be scratched off the keys after a very short while. If you ever find a working HP-01 for a reasonable price make sure to use the softest possible tool for pressing the keys!

Regards
Max

NB: It must be 10 years that I last took out one of my HP-01 watches from it's box. A shame, really, but I have plenty prettier, cheaper and less vulnerable watches for everyday use to chose from. And calculators too!
03-26-2023, 10:27 PM
(03-26-2023 06:46 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  To be honest I don't think that it looks nice.

"eye of the beholder"

To a watch collector, it might look like junk.

To someone obsessed with the history of electronic calculators and electronic timepieces, and especially ially the intersection of the two, it might look totally awesome.
03-27-2023, 05:52 AM
I have 3 HP-01s, ranging from museum quality to "daily beater" to "Panamatik rebuild/restore". It is, quite simply, an absolute monument to 1970s electronics. The fact that HP made this for the consumer (prosumer?) market is incredible. Never before (or for a long while after) had such sophisticated electronics functionality and fabrication been available through retail.

I do wear mine from time to time. They are extremely comfortable and wear well. Yes, they are hard to operate (other than basic time/date displays). Plus you don't want to lose the bracelet-mounted stylus. I do think we should wear these!

If you're serious about vintage (HP) electronics I think it's a "must-have" - if you can get one.
03-27-2023, 01:23 PM
Hello!

(03-27-2023 05:52 AM)markhen Wrote:  I do think we should wear these!

I will certainly wear one when I get the chance to attend an HP collectors meeting. But otherwise rather not.

And of course as a technical marvel of the 1970ties it is certainly one of the topmost collectible items among all HP calculators, RPN or not.

Regards
Max
03-27-2023, 09:44 PM
I guess I'm a little different than most. I would not call myself a collector; because my goal is not to own every calculator made by HP. I simply buy what I like. And get multiples to have backups. For example, I really don't care for LCD displays. I much prefer the red LEDs and higher build quality of the earlier machines. As for wristwatch style, I'd say the HP-01 is marginal at best. A Rolex President makes a much better impression - even if it is gear driven. As for functionality - it's not user friendly with the tiny display and stylus. And if I wanted a true symbol of HP prowess and impact on history, I'd much rather have a 35 or 65. Still, the 01 is attractive in it's own way. And maybe I'm biased by my early (say 12 years old) experience building and using the Sinclair wrist calculator. An active young lad wearing that out playing will turn it to plastic shards in short order. Of course, now I know HP can build products MUCH superior to that. But I think that experience tainted me against anything other than a chunk of steel on my wrist with a sapphire crystal. But then... maybe I'm just clumsy ?
03-27-2023, 10:40 PM
If you want your wristwear to make a statement, the HP-01 absolutely will do that.
:-)
03-27-2023, 10:51 PM
John, do you have the possibility to try before you buy a HP-01? Ether from a friend or somewhere physical that is selling one?

Sometimes you have to get hands on with an item to make the final decision before you lay down the money. A HP-01 is a considerable investment so if you can try one out before you buy it it may help tip the scales one way or the other for you in determining if you wish to purchase one.
03-27-2023, 10:53 PM
It wears surprisingly well - I've got skinny wrists and it's pretty comfortable. I wear it every few weeks.

When I got mine I needed to find an extension for the clasp, since some links were missing from the bracelet and it was a tight fit.
I took it to a watch shop and after we got it sorted the jeweler asked me "is that a phone?" (this was before the Apple watch). :-)

Even after all this time it still manages to look high-tech, in a kind of Star Trek TNG fashion.

I'm not sure I'd spend the going rate for one, but if you can get a good deal, or can find one that can be revived by Panamatik, it's a nice addition to the collection.
03-27-2023, 10:55 PM

And to help make your decision, you all might want to first have a look at the HP-01 in all its glory ... (never mind if you don't get the words, the images themselves are gorgeous !) V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-29-2023, 06:38 PM
While I would love one myself, I cannot bring myself to pay the current prices. But I am not trying to assemble a complete collection. If you are interested in assembling a complete HP set then jump at a decent price.

I did see one last year on the Antiques Roadshow and my wife gave me "the stinkeye" pretty quickly. Smile

-B
03-31-2023, 05:31 AM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2023 05:33 AM by Jim Horn.)
I really enjoyed mine (Serial #1912A00110), bought for $175 as a new HP employee in 1979 as they were dumping the inventory to their employees. Remarkably accurate, very solidly built, and predated most calculator watches. Yes, it weighed a lot and is thick but, like the classic HP calculators, it plays tricks on your eyes to make it appear less so.

Unfortunately, mine disappeared in a move in 2007. Wish I still had it - and the extra clasp button pusher, the pen, etc. all in prime shape.

By the way, the display is behind an especially tough deep red window. I never saw one scratched though I didn't exactly go around with a magnifier at HP conferences!

So many signals, so little bandwidth!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)