Are there any famous movie scenes that feature a HP Voyager series calculator?
01-09-2023, 07:51 PM

I've been trying to scratch my head and recall if I've ever seen a HP Voyager series calculator at all in a movie scene or TV show and I cannot place one at all.

I was thinking there would be in a Wall Street type or business/office movie, can anyone else place one in a movie?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2023, 02:46 AM
RE: Are there any famous movie scenes that feature a HP Voyager series calculator?
My mother and I watched movies learning English.
I remember one from 1980s (Best Defense).
Dudley Moore portrays engineer who designs tank system.
He has eureka moment, uses 11c / 15c to make calculations.
A crazy thing, movie has Iraq invade Kuwait, years before actually happened!
01-10-2023, 03:48 AM
RE: Are there any famous movie scenes that feature a HP Voyager series calculator?
(01-10-2023 02:46 AM)Rolief_Rechner Wrote:  My mother and I watched movies learning English.
I remember one from 1980s (Best Defense).
Dudley Moore portrays engineer who designs tank system.
He has eureka moment, uses 11c / 15c to make calculations.
A crazy thing, movie has Iraq invade Kuwait, years before actually happened!

Iraq had intentions to absorber Kuwait in the early sixties. So the movie was not predicting the future, but tapping into past intentions.

Namir
01-10-2023, 06:55 AM
The Astronaut farmer - HP 12C
01-10-2023, 09:32 AM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2023 09:34 AM by Pekis.)
Not a Voyager but ... L'ordinateur des pompes funèbres (aka Probability Factor), 1976 -> HP-65

http://noel.jouenne.pagesperso-orange.fr/hp65_gp.html

Extract
01-10-2023, 11:31 AM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2023 11:33 AM by Namir.)
(01-10-2023 09:32 AM)Pekis Wrote:  Not a Voyager but ... L'ordinateur des pompes funèbres (aka Probability Factor), 1976 -> HP-65

http://noel.jouenne.pagesperso-orange.fr/hp65_gp.html

Extract

I remember seeing the film, in March/April 1978, on French TV one Sunday afternoon in the sitting area of a hotel in Limoges. I was blown away that a French movie was focusing on the HP-65. I had an HP-67 then!

Namir
01-10-2023, 04:47 PM
Don't recall seeing a Voyager, but there's an absolutely hilarious scene in the anime "Rocket Girls" involving what's clearly an HP 41c series.

The scene is that of a young girl studying to be an astronaut, and the class is on Hohmann Transfer orbits. Her instructor shows her how to work the problem and suggests she do it. He tells her to use the calculator on her desk: she picks it up, and exclaims "There's no equals key!" It's CLEARLY an HP 41c series (though the Japanese are quite cautious about trademarks, so there's no company logo on the machine).

What makes it hysterical is that the instructor then goes off on a rant about how RPN is so much more superior, and that he'll pound it into her head so she'll never be able to use a "normal" calculator ever again!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Daily drivers: 15c, 32sII, 35s, 41cx, 48g, WP 34s/31s. Favorite: 16c.
Latest: 15ce, 48s, 50g. Gateway drug: 28s found in yard sale ~2009.
01-10-2023, 04:57 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2023 04:58 PM by johnb.)
(01-10-2023 04:47 PM)johnb Wrote:  ...she picks it up, and exclaims "There's no equals key!" It's CLEARLY an HP 41c series...

And the [nerdy] reason I even have such a comparison shot handy is that I annually do a talk on "Science in Anime" where I show that the Asian "fear of losing face" causes them to LISTEN to their technical advisors far more intently and more often than is done in Hollywood, with the result that they often NAIL the science, or at least are close enough not to be cringeworthy!

LOL.

Daily drivers: 15c, 32sII, 35s, 41cx, 48g, WP 34s/31s. Favorite: 16c.
Latest: 15ce, 48s, 50g. Gateway drug: 28s found in yard sale ~2009.
01-13-2023, 08:46 PM
(01-10-2023 04:57 PM)johnb Wrote:  
(01-10-2023 04:47 PM)johnb Wrote:  ...she picks it up, and exclaims "There's no equals key!" It's CLEARLY an HP 41c series...

And the [nerdy] reason I even have such a comparison shot handy is that I annually do a talk on "Science in Anime" where I show that the Asian "fear of losing face" causes them to LISTEN to their technical advisors far more intently and more often than is done in Hollywood, with the result that they often NAIL the science, or at least are close enough not to be cringeworthy!

LOL.

I had to look this up and it was very funny! Thank you for finding that johnb.

This anime is available on the Internet Archive. Here is the above described sequence shown in still frames.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-13-2023, 09:20 PM
(01-13-2023 08:46 PM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  
(01-10-2023 04:57 PM)johnb Wrote:  And the [nerdy] reason I even have such a comparison shot handy is that I annually do a talk on "Science in Anime" where I show that the Asian "fear of losing face" causes them to LISTEN to their technical advisors far more intently and more often than is done in Hollywood, with the result that they often NAIL the science, or at least are close enough not to be cringeworthy!

LOL.

I had to look this up and it was very funny! Thank you for finding that johnb.

This anime is available on the Internet Archive. Here is the above described sequence shown in still frames.

Thanks Steve!

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-13-2023, 09:55 PM
Well, it is not a movie scene, but you may like it... it´s just a video which got some attention in Twitter about the Perseverance rover landing in Mars.

https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-16359.html

(01-09-2023 07:51 PM)HP-12C Wrote:  Are there any famous movie scenes that feature a HP Voyager series calculator?

I've been trying to scratch my head and recall if I've ever seen a HP Voyager series calculator at all in a movie scene or TV show and I cannot place one at all.

I was thinking there would be in a Wall Street type or business/office movie, can anyone else place one in a movie?

Andrés C. Rodríguez (Argentina)

Please disregard idiomatic mistakes.
My posts are mostly from old memories, not from current research.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)