HP-71 S/W Developer's Handbook Files
06-07-2014, 02:08 AM
HP-71 S/W Developer's Handbook Files
Does anyone have or know where to get copies (some form of LIF archive I'd assume, maybe a mag card?) of the files that came with this book?

There are listings of BASIC utilities in the book that I can type in, but it also came with some LEX files and Forth binary (and source) files. I know I had them, I have partial hard copy listings of some of the Forth utilities, but can't find any trace of the original files.

Happy to pay all shipping costs to borrow and carefully copy the files and then provide a set to Dave to add to the MoHPC DVD.

Note that googling does produce lists of archives that include these files (FTHUTILA, FTHUTILF, and FTHUTILC), on a volume labeled "CHUG71", yet I can't locate that archive; it does not appear to be part of the LIF Archives on the MoHPC FTP site. Anyone know where a copy of the CHUG71 archive may be found?

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2014, 02:52 AM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2014 03:06 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
RE: HP-71 S/W Developer's Handbook Files
Mount this file in ILPer.
71BAPPD.DAT

Dave
06-07-2014, 07:51 PM
(06-07-2014 02:52 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Mount this file in ILPer.

Dave

YOU DA MAN!!

Thanks Dave, I really doubted this was out there any more, but posted as a sort-of Hail Mary (sorry Joe) just in case.

Do you recall how these files came originally? I have the manual, but it appears I've lost all my original files (diskettes?).

Fortunately, some hard copy listings of my Forth and other 71B dablings have survived. Not enough to get me back to where I was, but just enough to keep my trying to do so...

The Pil-Box and ILPer are wonderful!! 30 secs after reading your post, I had the files in my 71B. Woohoo.

This is another reason I wish I could easily extract files from LIF to Windows. For the source files, I guess I can load them into the 71B via Pil-Box and then Print them and capture output using ILPer and copy/paste to text files.

Thanks again!

Are you planning to attend HHC in Reno in Sept?

--Bob Prosperi
06-07-2014, 08:17 PM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2014 08:29 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
(06-07-2014 07:51 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Do you recall how these files came originally?

According to an old EduCalc catalog, mag card, disk, or tape. I have the tape.

(06-07-2014 07:51 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  This is another reason I wish I could easily extract files from LIF to Windows. For the source files, I guess I can load them into the 71B via Pil-Box and then Print them and capture output using ILPer and copy/paste to text files.

I think that if you can run Emu71/DOS, perhaps in XPMode, then you can copy files to the virtual HP-IL DOSLINK device.

(06-07-2014 07:51 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Are you planning to attend HHC in Reno in Sept?

I haven't planned to attend.

Dave
06-07-2014, 08:28 PM
Ahhh, I had not considered tape. Possibly one of several tapes I still have, sadly with no tapedrive. In general, do these tapes survive well enough that I should epxect mine, last used around 1986, would still work? If so, I will try to locate a loaner tape drive, or friendly owner willing to try to copy them, but want some idea it's not a complete waste of time before trying.

I asked about HHC since, as I live in NY, the odds of meeting to exchange views, files, etc are pretty unlikely. I get to SD every 10 years or so to see a lifelong friend that lives in Escondido, but not in any plans soon. Anyhow, at HHC Joe, I and others will be doing some ILPer-ing stuff, exploring the TCP/IP virtual IL-loop stuff, etc.

I will PM you so any potential future requests don't have to waste evryone else's time, unless you think such things are useful to the community.

--Bob Prosperi
06-07-2014, 08:50 PM
(06-07-2014 08:28 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  In general, do these tapes survive well enough that I should epxect mine, last used around 1986, would still work?

The little foam pad that presses the tape into the head deteriorates over time. All of my tapes needed to be repaired. Using this procedure by Tony Duell I was able to repair 4 out of 5 of my tapes. Sadly that was after I tried to INITIALIZE them.

(06-07-2014 08:28 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  I will PM you so any potential future requests don't have to waste evryone else's time, unless you think such things are useful to the community.

I hope there're more members like us who like breathing new life back into our vintage machines, mostly thanks to J-F Garnier for the PIL-Box and Christoph Gießelink for the emulators.

See the edit to my earlier post regarding DOSLINK.

Dave

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)