Restarting hp49g+
05-18-2020, 08:08 AM
Restarting hp49g+
I was tidying up the loft over the weekend and found my old hp49g+. Put some new batteries in and started playing but it quickly ended up with TTRM and looped on it even when selecting [NO] so I removed the batteies and started again clearing allsoftware and backups.

Now I remember that it was the reason it ended up in the loft in the first place.

Any tips as to where to start looking for the issue? Actually, I don't even know how to open a 49g+ to have look.

Any tips welcome.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-18-2020, 11:16 AM
RE: Restarting hp49g+
IIRC isn't the 49G+ one model that can have the OS reflashed?

Might be something to look into prior to surgery on it.

-B
05-18-2020, 12:23 PM
Here is the kit for updating the firmware to the last version, 2.15:

https://www.hpcalc.org/details/7097

--Bob Prosperi
05-18-2020, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 05-18-2020 04:22 PM by ijabbott.)
What's "TTRM" for the uninitiated amongst us (i.e. me)?

EDIT: OK, I've found out it's "Try To Recover Memory".

— Ian Abbott
05-18-2020, 04:23 PM
Did you replace the backup battery or just the main batteries?

— Ian Abbott
05-18-2020, 05:04 PM (This post was last modified: 05-18-2020 05:06 PM by Joe Horn.)
Sometimes a misbehaving library in memory can cause this. The only way out of such a TTRM loop is to poke a paperclip into the reset hole in the back WHILE holding down the backspace key. You may need to momentarily release and re-press the backspace key after the paperclip poke. When the backspace key is held down during the entire reboot sequence, no libraries are attached, thereby avoiding them causing trouble. You can then use the FILER to delete libraries one by one, rebooting after each, to discern which one was causing the problem by process of elimination.

If the problem continues after all libraries are deleted, then at least you'll know that the problem isn't a misbehaving library.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-19-2020, 08:18 AM
Thanks for all the answers, I reflashed, changed all the batteries and it now seems to behave much better.
The batteries seem to drain very fast though. Maybe a bad batch of batteries. I assume flashing takes a toll on batteries.
I will put a different set of batteries and continue monitoring.

Thanks a lot

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)