Video Series on the HP graphing calculators
05-03-2020, 03:19 AM
Video Series on the HP graphing calculators
Guys,

I decided there might be some interest ..... because the HP50G comes with a small fraction of the documentation that the original 48SX came with.

So having used every model since they came out ..... I decided to make an educational series for them ..... maybe there are still some users/owners who have no idea what they can actually do

Wish me luck

Here is the first episode

https://youtu.be/imALrvG18SE
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2020, 10:51 PM
RE: Video Series on the HP graphing calculators
thanks for doing this, I enjoyed the video. Nice solid approach on which to build. Look forward to more (please)…

request: please consider a higher video quality, for calculator shots.

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
05-04-2020, 10:38 PM
(05-03-2020 10:51 PM)cdmackay Wrote:  thanks for doing this, I enjoyed the video. Nice solid approach on which to build. Look forward to more (please)…

request: please consider a higher video quality, for calculator shots.

Thanks for your encouragement .... the original calculator shot was hi-res but was compromised loading it onto the "Whiteboard"..... but as the videos series progress I will be filming the actual calculator screen with an HD video camera mounted on a tripod .... so quality will be better

Best Wishes,
Stephen Mendes
05-05-2020, 02:16 PM
sounds good, thanks Stephen.

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
05-05-2020, 06:52 PM
Thank you for sharing, I find your approach very educational, clearly introducing the fundamentals.
Looking forward to more episodes!
05-07-2020, 02:08 PM
(05-03-2020 03:19 AM)stephenmendes Wrote:  ..... maybe there are still some users/owners who have no idea what they can actually do

I am happy about the planned HP50g video series. I use the real devices almost every day and want to learn more about how to use them. The whole concept including RPL is really fascinating.

It's just a shame that HP stopped the production. Could SwissMicros theoretically also replicate an HP50g? Or is this not possible for licensing reasons?

By the way, I came to the HP50g via your video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvVSxB9wqyA, thanks for that.

good luck
Joerg
05-10-2020, 01:59 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2020 02:00 PM by stephenmendes.)
Hi Guys thanks for the encouragement

Here is the second episode ..... several items mentioned in this video :

Input methods
Command line editing and viewing of larger stack objects
Time and Date setup
CAS versus RPN differences
Plotting / solving for independent variable

are to be addressed in their own respective videos .... and I will need to find some index system so viewers can move from one video to the other in an easy and efficient manner.

I do not think that many people who own the 50G (but never owned previous 48 calculators) have any idea of it's incredible capabilities.

The 50G expands on every previous calculator that went before it...... backward compatibility is maintained with all the commands and flags ...... and additional flags and commands have been added.... along with more memory (and the SD card subsystem).

I blame the LACK OF COMPREHENSION as to the capabilities of this calculator on extremely POOR DOCUMENTATION..... as shipped, there was nothing that came with it that even remotely showed how to leverage it's capabilities.

Texas Instruments calculators ONLY dominate the market because of TI's tremendous attempt to EDUCATE the public about how to use them.

Had a similar attempt been made for HP the superiority of the 50G would have been immediately obvious to every college student ..... and instead of being obsolete, they would be selling by the millions..... SOMEBODY HAS DROPPED THE BALL WITH THIS CALCULATOR

By the time I am finished with my video series (if I ever am) "used" 50G's will be selling $2000 a pop ??

https://youtu.be/WB81FWN-4Rk
05-10-2020, 07:03 PM
(05-10-2020 01:59 PM)stephenmendes Wrote:  By the time I am finished with my video series (if I ever am) "used" 50G's will be selling $2000 a pop ??

I hope so! I think there are 13 of them in my collection so that's quite a nest egg I'll be sitting on if they do Big Grin

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
05-13-2020, 03:56 PM
Just letting you know the THIRD episode of "hp Tutorial video" is here..... this one looks at ENTRY MODES .... and should work with all the HP graphing calculator models (although I am specifically using the 50G for all my examples)

https://youtu.be/ozx2RAoowfs
05-14-2020, 05:36 PM
thanks Stephen, keep 'em coming please.

Not a criticism, but for the last one, I would have preferred to see you walk-through it on the calc on-screen, rather than just having it on the white-board.

It not entirely due to my laziness Smile — I have to keep taking my glasses off and on when I switch from calculator to screen/TV (which is a bloody pain, must get some varifocals?) so following along on my own 50g wasn't easy.

I was feeling silly with four 50g, but grsbanks makes me feel better Smile

Cambridge, UK
Casio, Rockwell 18R
05-17-2020, 01:26 PM
The next 50g video is here ...... Basic graphing of Functions..... and in the following subsequent video, I will show how to add elements to your plot (labels, text or graphics) and save your graphs as GRaphics OBjects (GROB) from where they can recalled to the screen at anytime.

https://youtu.be/VKnBSPT2yXI
05-17-2020, 01:33 PM
(05-14-2020 05:36 PM)cdmackay Wrote:  thanks Stephen, keep 'em coming please.

Not a criticism, but for the last one, I would have preferred to see you walk-through it on the calc on-screen, rather than just having it on the white-board.

It not entirely due to my laziness Smile — I have to keep taking my glasses off and on when I switch from calculator to screen/TV (which is a bloody pain, must get some varifocals?) so following along on my own 50g wasn't easy.

I was feeling silly with four 50g, but grsbanks makes me feel better Smile

Would it help if I use light colored writing on a DARK background (instead of the whiteboard) ? ..... I am not sure that punching keys on the Calculator in real time is a better way .... rather than just giving the sequence "on the board" along with a few "calculator shots" ?

If I do all the problem in real time on the calculator..... persons trying to repeat the steps may have to to do a lot of "rewinding" and "rewatching" ..... so by writing the key (softkey) sequence .... they can have one screen paused and key it in ..... just like if they were using calculator manual

suggestions are always welcome.... from any one

Best Wishes.
Stephen Mendes
05-18-2020, 12:27 AM
(05-17-2020 01:33 PM)stephenmendes Wrote:  Would it help if I use light colored writing on a DARK background (instead of the whiteboard) ?
Oh yes. Much, much easier on the eyes of anyone watching.

(05-17-2020 01:33 PM)stephenmendes Wrote:  I am not sure that punching keys on the Calculator in real time is a better way .... rather than just giving the sequence "on the board" along with a few "calculator shots" ?
Maybe try to use one of the emulators available. The one from HP seems to be the best. Barring that, a walkthrough of the examples by using a real calculator should be good.

Either way, it's a good series. There doesn't seem to be many tutorials on the 50g. I think it's because it was already old by the time YouTube really started to kick off, and it's not yet classic enough for people to show it off.
05-19-2020, 09:58 PM
hi Stephen, yes, I take the point that having the instructions on the whiteboard is useful; I'm just not able to follow along, since I can't easily see the calc and the screen at the same time, which is annoying (and my fault).

I'd thought that perhaps having both: the instructions on the whiteboard, and a calc screen on the left, where you just perform the instructions, so optically-challenged folk like me can see both at once?

It's not a big deal though, just something to consider for the future.

thanks again, will watch the new one asap.

Cambridge, UK
Casio, Rockwell 18R
05-21-2020, 12:09 AM
Hello everybody,

For the next installment in the tutorial video series I have done something different.

I have taken a problem in ac steady state circuit analysis and done the computations on the actual calculator (as has been suggested).

During the problem solving I demonstrate the following:

RPN operational procedures
Directory creation and variable creation
Re-ordering the variables in a directory
Changing modes with programs attached to the User keyboard
(for the programs to change the mode settings visit my Facebook page "Mendes Computers")

Here is problem explained:
https://youtu.be/7an9KUPUHA8

Here is the Calculator video to solve it:
https://youtu.be/YggwHnoW3Ik
05-21-2020, 12:17 AM
(05-18-2020 12:27 AM)Cristi Neagu Wrote:  
(05-17-2020 01:33 PM)stephenmendes Wrote:  Would it help if I use light colored writing on a DARK background (instead of the whiteboard) ?
Oh yes. Much, much easier on the eyes of anyone watching.

(05-17-2020 01:33 PM)stephenmendes Wrote:  I am not sure that punching keys on the Calculator in real time is a better way .... rather than just giving the sequence "on the board" along with a few "calculator shots" ?
Maybe try to use one of the emulators available. The one from HP seems to be the best. Barring that, a walkthrough of the examples by using a real calculator should be good.

Either way, it's a good series. There doesn't seem to be many tutorials on the 50g. I think it's because it was already old by the time YouTube really started to kick off, and it's not yet classic enough for people to show it off.

I used the actual calculator to solve the problem in this episode (it's in HD so switch in the Youtube control bar and use a bigger screen if you want) .....

but I did not see your post in time to switch from my whiteboard to blackboard (for the initial problem specification and preparation) I will make sure and do that from now on .... thanks for your feedback
05-21-2020, 12:19 AM
(05-19-2020 09:58 PM)cdmackay Wrote:  hi Stephen, yes, I take the point that having the instructions on the whiteboard is useful; I'm just not able to follow along, since I can't easily see the calc and the screen at the same time, which is annoying (and my fault).

I'd thought that perhaps having both: the instructions on the whiteboard, and a calc screen on the left, where you just perform the instructions, so optically-challenged folk like me can see both at once?

It's not a big deal though, just something to consider for the future.

thanks again, will watch the new one asap.

I used the actual calculator to do the demonstrations this time around......

and will switch to the BLACKBOARD for future videos ..... thanks
05-21-2020, 01:08 AM
(05-10-2020 01:59 PM)stephenmendes Wrote:  I do not think that many people who own the 50G (but never owned previous 48 calculators) have any idea of it's incredible capabilities.

Recently I've been looking for an additional 50g online. In the dozens of pictures of used 50g's on sale, I think I haven't seen a single picture showing the RPN stack. Almost every display picture of a powered-on 50g shows ALG mode. That alone speaks volumes. I got a 50g in great condition for 65 USD.
05-21-2020, 04:49 AM
Just watched your first episode. Nice work, thank you Stephen!
05-21-2020, 01:14 PM
(05-21-2020 04:49 AM)Thomas Radtke Wrote:  Just watched your first episode. Nice work, thank you Stephen!

Thanks...... I am aiming for two episodes per week and although I am not numbering them individually.... I have a PLAYLIST (to keep them all in one place because the channel has very diversified content)

Here is the link to the PLAYLIST for "HP GRAPHING CALCULATORS"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk0sJTK_...C-BE2zH_Of

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)