Free42 LSTO REGS
09-25-2019, 03:52 PM
Free42 LSTO REGS
Greetings,

This is my first time posting. Generally, I've been content with just reading these forums, but I just discovered something about Free42's LSTO feature that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere and it's too exciting not to share!

This is how it started:

Code:
00 { 23-Byte Prgm }
01▸LBL "TstLSTO"
02 RCL "REGS"
03 LSTO "REGS"

If LSTO was used to create a local REGS, would all the commands that normally interact with REGS address that local REGS and leave the global REGS untouched?

I tried STO and RCL and their arithmetic, an assortment of STAT functions, ISG, DSE, printing the REGS, CLΣ and CLRG. I'm sure there's more, but all of these interacted with the local REGS and ignored the global one!

At the moment, I have no real need for this, but I rather like the idea that I can use the whole suite of REGS-related functions in a subroutine without worrying about their impact on previously stored data.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-26-2019, 05:50 PM
RE: Free42 LSTO REGS
Wow that's cool!

It might also mean that if you have an old program that uses lots of registers and stores it's results on the stack, then you might be able to run it cleanly by doing LSTO "REGS" and then calling the program.
09-26-2019, 08:10 PM
(09-26-2019 05:50 PM)David Hayden Wrote:  Wow that's cool!

It might also mean that if you have an old program that uses lots of registers and stores it's results on the stack, then you might be able to run it cleanly by doing LSTO "REGS" and then calling the program.

You even can create temporary "REGS" for use in manual mode only
Code:

01 LBL "AREGS"
02 NEWMAT
03 LSTO "REGS"
04 STOP
05 RTN

Put your desired nRows and 1 on the STACK and run AREGS. After that you'll have that new set of registers available until you hit R/S, this will invoke RTN and thus reactivate the standard REGS.

But wait a minute. Before you hit R/S you could save your "local" REGS as a normal VAR e.g. "REGS1" for later use. Then when you sometime later want to reactivate "REGS1" just recall it and LSTO it to "REGS" but then to return to the original "REGS" you have to do a RTN. GTO .. does it also.

Cool? Günter
09-28-2019, 02:53 AM
You can also use LSTO from the keyboard; it is not program-only. Like in Günter's example, you end up with a variable that will go away when you do run-mode GTO, XEQ, RTN, BST, edit a program, etc. Specifically, all local variables are deleted by the same set of actions that cause the RTN stack to be cleared on the HP-42S.
09-28-2019, 03:19 AM
To elaborate a bit: every local variable is associated with a level of the RTN stack. LSTO creates variables on the current level, and when that level is popped, the associated variables are deleted. And, any action that clears the entire RTN stack, like GTO, XEQ, or RTN in RUN mode, clears all local variables.

There is one quirk to this: LSTO can also create variables when the RTN stack is already empty. It has to be able to do this, in order to work in a subroutine that is invoked from the keyboard. Say you do XEQ "FOO" from the keyboard with this in program memory:

Code:
01 LBL "FOO"
02 LSTO "X"
03 R↓
04 LSTO "Y"
[...]

When the LSTO instructions are performed, there is nothing on the RTN stack, unlike when the XEQ "FOO" is done from a program, but of course you'd want LSTO to work even in this scenario.

When a program performs RTN while the RTN stack is empty, this causes the empty-stack locals (referred to as "level 0" in the source code, the RTN stack "level" being the number of pending returns) to be deleted, so when the program "FOO" above ends with a RTN, its locals disappear, even though they were never associated with an actual RTN. And this same mechanism can be used in RUN mode.
10-04-2019, 12:34 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2019 12:36 PM by Namir.)
The technique of of using local REGS is wonderful! I wrote a short test where I stored values in regular registers, called a subroutine, created a local copy of REGS, and accessed the copies. This method allows you to pass values not only in the stack, but also though numbered registers to a subroutines. The called subroutine can return the result(s) in the stack OR in gobal named variables. Using local REGS allows the subroutine to use any numbered register, that does not supply it with input values, to store whatever intermediate results needed.

Thanks Thomas for making the feature of local REGS available!

Here is my short test program:

Code:
01▸LBL "AA"
02 100
03 STO 00
04 200
05 STO 01
06 XEQ "BB"
07 "X="
08 ARCL 00
09 PROMPT
10 RTN
11▸LBL "BB"
12 RCL "REGS"
13 LSTO "REGS"
14 1
15 STO 00
16 "XS="
17 ARCL 00
18 PROMPT
19 "YS="
20 ARCL 01
21 PROMPT

Namir
10-05-2019, 08:46 AM
The 34S introduced local variables that were allocated per return stack frame (thanks Marcus). These were initially used by some of the internal keystroke programmes (XROM). They are not at the same level of sophistication that Free42 now has. I suspect that there might be some middle ground between the two but why would anyone compromise?

The most important benefit is that the two major HP calculator projects have been learning from each other,

Pauli

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)