I'd really like to see some imrovements to the in-calculator program editor.
11-19-2017, 07:40 AM
RE: I'd really like to see some imrovements to the in-calculator program editor.
(11-19-2017 02:38 AM)TravisE Wrote:  I've gotten pretty used to efficiently (as far as these things go) edit directly on the 50g. Although I feel like reaching that full level of efficiency would have required a keyboard design closer to that of the 50g's (which unfortunately also means making it more complicated, which might have made it worse for casual/less-technical users), some ideas off the top of my head that would nonetheless make the Prime's editor more pleasant:

- Undo/redo (ideally one that could handle at least a few edits back; and the 50g really could have used even a simple undo function in its editor as well)

- Search/replace, as mentioned above

- Navigation improvements: a convenient means of jumping quickly to other functions in the program in particular (e.g., select from a menu, or have a submenu when editing a program where each subroutine can be edited as an independent item)

- Being able to return to the location last edited in the file, rather than always starting at the very top

- Making the Tmplt menu functions indentation-aware (meaning it inserts code block templates using the same indentation level as the code where they're being inserted)

- Some sort of quicker/easier means to perform basic cut/copy/paste (or the ability to have the Copy soft menu stay open for convenient application of consecutive copy/paste operations)

- Having some kind of menu or auto-completion system for quickly inserting the names of the variables/functions currently defined in the edited program would be nice

Though I'm not sure of the best way to fit these features into the Prime's current UI, which seems to use single-page soft menus and a fairly simple key layout as a design convention.

Also, especially when editing text, I sort of miss the option, like the 50g has, to configure the Alpha key to go directly into alpha-lock on the first press. Otherwise, having to frequently go in and out of alpha-lock is a bit of a pain (and is a bigger problem on the Prime since accessing digits and many symbols/functions requires leaving and reentering it much more often compared to the 50g, and the extra keystrokes having to constantly turn it on and off add up quickly). I know that one can hold down Alpha while typing a letter for caps, and Shift+Alpha for lowercase, but the latter especially seems a bit physically awkward, and I've found that at least one letter key (g) simply doesn't work reliably with both Shift and Alpha held down for some reason.

The idea of being able.to jump to a function is a good one.
Once compiled, exported functions are already shown in the Run menu, so adding some way of choosing one then jumping to it rather than running it shouldn't be too difficult to add...

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: I'd really like to see some imrovements to the in-calculator program editor. - StephenG1CMZ - 11-19-2017 07:40 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)