I'd really like to see some imrovements to the in-calculator program editor.
11-18-2017, 03:32 PM (This post was last modified: 11-18-2017 03:34 PM by DrD.)
RE: I'd really like to see some imrovements to the in-calculator program editor.
In my computer science classes we used the unix based editor vi. This would be circa early-1980's. I remember it as not a particularly fun editor to use, and it seemed like, with the instructor, and in the labs, we often spent as much time wrestling with vi, as we did with the projects, especially the first year.

Quote:I'm talking on the calculator....not on the PC. I have 1000000 editors for the pc....it's on the calculator that I want this

You were speaking of an editor for the calculator, me too.

I realize Notepad ++ isn't readily portable. There may be licensing issues, etc. However it's free, the source code is available, and there is community support. As long as you're inventing the on-board-calculator-editor wheel, and you have 1e6 editors at your disposal, isn't there anything better than vi, among them?

Editing on the hw is tenuous, even IF you HAD a built in editor. The ck, even with it's shortcomings, is much better. We've both probably been around a long time, but I know I was able to make some pretty robust hp-48 programs, (because it had an I/O port), created for plc and rtu based telemetry applications. I developed them on the pc, not on the calc. I used them for many years, and even though there were times when I needed to change a [few] things within the on-calc programs, for anything significant, it was far better to develop those programs using a pc platform.

The handheld hw programming environment has about all it really needs, given the constraints of the physical product.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: I'd really like to see some imrovements to the in-calculator program editor. - DrD - 11-18-2017 03:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)