Did I wreck the site? Was not my intention.
10-04-2017, 08:47 AM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2017 08:48 AM by pier4r.)
RE: Did I wreck the site? Was not my intention.
(10-03-2017 11:37 PM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  I could not get on the site earlier today. If whatever you were doing caused that, cut it out. Buy the museum thumb drive, like Bob and Massimo suggested.

I still fail to convey my message. I wonder if it is due my poor English.

So, to clarify, after the 5th attempt (done yesterday around 15.00 central european time) I stopped since the result was not that good. Nor I have intention to do it again, since the result is not good (I don't want to bring down the site).

Nevertheless my point is that the current setup is a bit too fragile. If one person requests 120 pages per hour and the site goes down, it is a bit unexpected.

To make an analogy with calculators: imagine I buy an HP 41 and I use it a bit and it crashes, I ask and I get "yes the HP 41 works wonderfully, but if you do more than 100 key presses within an hour, it crashes" . It would surprise me.

The point of buying the museum DVD or what not is another story. Surely it is a good collection (once again, I am all for collections that avoid losing efforts done in the pasts, they are very important) but it does not solve the point that the site is a bit too fragile.

In other words: if one buys 1 billion copies of the collection on the USB stick, and then runs wget again, would the site be magically more robust? No.

Also I would have expected that the part of the archives was down, not the entire site. Somehow the things are connected although MyBB should be independent from the old archives.

Last but not least. I always prefer to take responsibility for what I do, so I say as early as I can "look if that was due to me, it is my fault, sorry.", but my approach assumes an atmosphere of "ok, good to know, now let's focus on the problem and not on the blame". If the atmosphere instead is of some sort of blaming, like "why did you do that?" then there is no incentive to be honest and that won't produce good results (I experienced that directly in my region of origin, where honesty was a luxury and nothing worked).

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did I wreck the site? Was not my intention. - pier4r - 10-04-2017 08:47 AM
What about an European MoHPC hub? - Dieter - 11-24-2017, 10:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)