50g Mini-Challenge: Number of positive divisors of x!
09-30-2017, 03:33 PM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2017 03:44 PM by Thomas Okken.)
RE: 50g Mini-Challenge: Number of positive divisors of x!
My algorithm is based on the prime factorization of n!. When a number has prime factorization Π(i=1,j,p[i]^k[i]), i.e. it is the product of j distinct primes and each prime p[i] occurs k[i] times in the factorization, then the number of divisors is Π(i=1,j,k[i]+1).

To find this prime factorization of n!, realize that it can only contain primes that are less than or equal to n, so the search space is pleasantly small. And how often does a prime p occur in n!? Answer: floor(n/p) of the factors 1, 2, 3, ... , n are divisible by p; floor(n/p^2) are divisible by p^2, etc. Keep dividing n by p and rounding toward zero, until you reach zero; the sum of all the intermediate results equals the exponent k[i] of the prime p[i], and the number of possible contributions of p[i] to divisors of n! is thus k[i]+1. Multiply all those k[i]+1 factors together, and you end up with the total number of divisors.

The first part of the program finds primes using a simple but reasonably efficient algorithm, only checking divisors <= sqrt(p). Hence the O(n*sqrt(n)) part of my time estimate. Once a prime has been found, the repeated divisions take O(log(n)). Working this out more accurately would require dusting off my rusty calculus skills... Maybe later. :-)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 50g Mini-Challenge: Number of positive divisors of x! - Thomas Okken - 09-30-2017 03:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)