How do I learn RPL and solve this problem with it?
09-26-2017, 06:03 AM
RE: How do I learn RPL and solve this problem with it?
(09-25-2017 08:27 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  - cut -

About the resistors in series, I realized since a while (without proof) that likely one goes picking the largest one that fits the value and then the second largest that first the remaining value.

I guess this approach won't be that valid with 3+ resistors, because the algorithm described above is greedy.

For the parallel resistors, I did not analyse the formula (I just took it as it is), but now I realize that is pretty the same - and very close to egyptian fractions indeed.
I take the value that fits closer to 1/R and then the value that is closer to the remaining value.

Once again, this should work because the values to pick are two. Would they be more, then it would be more challenging.

Thus the list of resistor precomputed surely speeds up the problem, but it is not needed to have all the combination precomputed (although it is a nice challenge of packing that data on the 50g).

Anyway both ways are interesting, the naive "don't let me think about the formula" brings certain challenges due to the scale of the problem, the more pondered "ok let's see what could be a shorter way" bring the challenge to verify that certain observations/decisions works (best case: a proof, worst case: check against all the possible combinations)

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: How do I learn RPL and solve this problem with it? - pier4r - 09-26-2017 06:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)