Bringing a Voyager (10c -- 16c) LCD back from the dead
09-10-2017, 11:30 PM
RE: 15c LCD and Display Driver ???
Ooooooooooooo Kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk ... Houston, we have lift-off!!! Smile

So, persistence and patience have payed off. It turns out the little rubber contact strips on the edges of the LCD are EXTREMELY temperamental. I probably took the LCD off a good dozen times, looking it and the PCB contacts over for corrosion, putting it back together and getting no progress.

Then, I got curious... I put LCD in the little bezel that locks it against the PCB, but this time when I looked at the rubber strips with the jewerler's glass I specifically looked for inconsistencies in how it was laying against both the PCB and the LCD itself.

What I discovered was they weren't laying "flat", the bottoms were angled out ever so slightly. So, I very carefully popped up one edge of the locking bezel so the strip on that side was free to move, then, with the metal tip of a mechanical pencil, I proceeded to very gently push the strip in a bit so it would lay more flatly, and popped the bezel back into place. I then repeated with the other edge.

Once that was done, back together once again it went, and I powered it on. To my surprise and relief... VOILA!!! Success! Smile Upon running both self-tests, ALL segments of the LCD now light up, and the keyboard test passes as well.

Thanks to everyone for listening to my working rant as I walked through the process ... hopefully this may help others with LCD issues and\or dead displays. Big Grin

Barry
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 15c LCD and Display Driver ??? - BarryT - 09-10-2017 11:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)