Can any TI calc Equation Edit??!!
03-13-2014, 07:10 AM
RE: Can any TI calc Equation Edit??!!
(03-12-2014 11:08 PM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  I was about to respond to a post that was in response to my smiling comment on that the old, slow processors and small memory used in some of TI's graphing calculators must be the cause of their relativly high price, when the post disappeared?

I was sincerely hoping no one would notice Wink. I wasn't happy with the mood of it and it was getting late for copy editing, so I took it back, I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

The first part was OK:
Quote:Actually the 84 has an ASIC for both and the 89 has its memory in another ASIC. We're talking about Texas Instruments, they should know how to design these things.
(Eh? I'm quoting myself, how self-absorbed is that?)

At the second part I vented my obfuscated frustration about companies that don't design their ICs any more, maybe that's not fair and solely Kinpo is to blame.

I was thinking about the sudden calculator death syndrome (I own one of those hopeless sleeping beauties). After a bit of research I figured it was likely caused by writing the boot code in flash as everything else (I might be wrong, so if anybody really knows please enlighten me). You can be bored with Texas Inst., but at least they can avoid this as their ASICs should take care of storing these things.

And don't get me started with the really obnoxious things TI has done! For instance the absurd price of their calculators (although I doubt they are as cheap to manufacture as everybody assumes) comes from the even worse brain-damaging lock-in they have in education Smile. The absurd limitations and encryptions they are keen to enforce, and above all their decision to kill and bury Derive, for which I will never forgive them.

But their hardware is fine and their programmers too.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can any TI calc Equation Edit??!! - Manolo Sobrino - 03-13-2014 07:10 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)