Programming puzzles: processing lists!
08-24-2017, 12:29 PM
RE: Programming puzzles: processing lists!
(08-21-2017 07:30 PM)pier4r Wrote:  So with the formula the possible match days with 12 teams should be 10k and counting, with 14 teams 135k, with 16 teams 2millions and counting. Therefore unless I polish the data structures and the procedure, 14 and 16 teams seems out of range for me.

This makes the next challenge limited.

The next challenge in theory should be "find all the possible calendars. That is: collections of match days were every team meet all the others only once" but I guess it has to be limited to 8 teams for the hp50g.

Just an idea, but perhaps the challenge could be tweaked slightly to make it more amenable to calculator implementations. So instead of finding all possible solutions in a big list, you would write a program that is capable of generating any arbitrary solution when supplied with suitable arguments. e.g. for the match-days problem, supplying integers N and M, there M is treated modulo (N-1)(N-3)(N-5)...1, to generate any specific solution. Then the fun would be in proving that any and all solutions are found by some suitably restricted range of input arguments -- ideally a one-to-one mapping from that range to solutions.

Tournament calendars sound interesting -- I haven't really thought about any of this stuff before. As you say, part of the enjoyment comes from just playing around with the problems before you look elsewhere for existing methods.

Paul
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Programming puzzles: processing lists! - pdo - 08-24-2017 12:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 5 Guest(s)