Programming puzzles: processing lists!
08-20-2017, 09:56 PM
RE: Programming puzzles: processing lists!
(08-19-2017 09:59 PM)pdo Wrote:  I couldn't resist. It hooked me in again, so here's my RPL translation of the Lisp program I posted. It's not particularly pretty, but I thought I'd post it anyway.

I didn't try anything longer for fear of running out of memory and/or battery power! (I am using a 49g+ so can't run it off USB power.)

Taking your output and sorting it in a similar way to several previous attempts seems to show a match, so it appears to me that you've got a good solution here, Paul. It's compact, and it works, so what's not pretty about it? Smile

Regarding the memory situation, I did attempt a 12-team run with your code on a near-empty (emulated) 50g, and it resulted in an "Insufficient Memory" error and left 946 entries on the stack. I turned off the "Last Stack" mode setting and tried again to see if not saving stack configurations would allow it to get further. Same error, same number of stack entries. MEM reports 183294.5 bytes available at that point, which makes me wonder if the "wall" that's being hit is actually the internal RPL return stack running out of space.

Whatever the issue, it appears that 10 is probably the max number of teams that can be processed this way on a 50g. That seems like a reasonable maximum since 12 teams would result in a list of 10395 entries, and even doing something simple on a 50g with a list of lists that size would be problematic.

Very nice work!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Programming puzzles: processing lists! - DavidM - 08-20-2017 09:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)