Programming puzzles: processing lists!
05-31-2017, 06:30 PM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2017 06:36 PM by pier4r.)
RE: Programming puzzles: processing lists!
thanks for the info David!

(05-31-2017 05:44 PM)DavidM Wrote:  GoferList's Copy is orders of magnitude slower than LMRPT, and the performance degradation is stark as the quantity of element duplication grows. When duplicating a list of 1 item 1000 times (the worst case in my tests), Copy required 528.8 seconds. LMRPT completed the same task in 0.11 seconds.

Then there's all the remaining commands that have no counterparts. That's a large list from GoferList, but only a few from my library (LCNT, LEQ, LGRP, LREPL, LROT, LRPCT, LSDIV, LSHF, LSWP). That may grow over time, though. The results of testing so far have convinced me that there's enough of a value proposition to warrant further development effort for "yet another list library".

That is exactly the point that I see over and over, in contrast with https://xkcd.com/927/ . One starts a project for his personal experience, looking at existing known projects like "oh, it will be surely be dismal compared to that result" (existing known because we never know how many others are there that are not shared, what a pity)

But instead the "yet another attempt" is great for many reasons. First and foremost for personal experience. Second, one never knows where a new development can lead over time. Third it is yet another example for someone that wants to learn. If the conditions around the attempt are not the same (i.e: a product that is commercial or closed source vs a product that is open source), the new attempt is surely fitting one condition than the older did not have. Maybe the new attempt is easier to expand since it is more clean, well documented, whatever. And I could continue mentioning many other factors. (with my poor grammar. I should proofread a bit more damn me)

In other words, if one can do a "yet another attempt", then he has all my support.

Already the library from David can be a complement to goferlist (even in the case it is restricted to a certain input type, it does not matter) and has inspired some more challenges that can help someone (at least me) getting better with RPL and processing lists.
Also, I'm pretty sure I will go through some challenges with the newRPL.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Programming puzzles: processing lists! - pier4r - 05-31-2017 06:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)