Programming puzzles: processing lists!
05-05-2017, 11:51 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2017 12:19 PM by pier4r.)
RE: Programming puzzles: processing lists!
(05-01-2017 05:45 PM)DavidM Wrote:  
(04-28-2017 09:51 PM)pier4r Wrote:  #6 (that is very similar to #10, my bad)
Pier: 3.04 seconds (impressive the slow down even using DOSUBS)
DavidM: waiting for fix, or using the result for #10

Rather than totally rewrite #6, I simply changed a couple of things to address the issue of a "homogenous" list. While I was at it, I went ahead and also handled a list of only one number, which I assumed to be valid in this case. These changes make my approach even slower than before, though not significantly. Still no speed demon here. :-)

So first I had to handle the case that the second dosubs returns a list of only one element, that \GSLIST does not like, If I understood your comments correctly (I love comments and I am a bit critical to code - especially using the stack - posted without them. Although better having the code than nothing), when the result is 0 then the processing returns valid. Therefore I add a 0 to the list returned by dosubs and GSLIST likes it.

If I am not mistaken. The list { 5 5 5 5 5 6 6 6 6 6 } is returned as valid, but it is not.
Also: { 1 2 3 1 2 3 } is valid (but it is not).

Could you check if I messed up with your code?

For the #21 I'm a bit surprised because I did not expect such timings.
The compact version of werner handles correctly 50 lists of 100 elelemnts in 1.61 seconds.
My longer program (you know, I don't like cryptic stack operations) handles the same workload in 1.35 seconds.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Programming puzzles: processing lists! - pier4r - 05-05-2017 11:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)