Programming puzzles: processing lists!
02-14-2019, 09:40 PM
RE: Programming puzzles: processing lists!
(02-14-2019 09:13 PM)DavidM Wrote:  This made me LOL (seriously). Is there truly anyone who enjoys manipulating large groups of items on the stack? I think the only enjoyment I ever get from it is when I actually finalize some RPL-stack-modifying implementation that succeeds in doing what I actually meant for it do in the first place. There's a feeling like you're blindfolded and you just (successfully) taught someone how to juggle spinning chainsaws. At some point you ask "why do I put myself through this?", but inevitably there are those moments when you realize that something magic just happened in your calculator that you taught it to do.

I get this! The first time I got an RPL program like this (exploding a large list onto the stack) to work, I was happy/exhausted/shocked but most of all relieved that my own design worked, despite the many failed attempts prior to that sweet victory.

It's a lot like playing pool - we always take great care for every shot, lining-up all the angles, considering all the obstacles, possibilities, etc. and while most shots go horribly wrong, every now and then a complex shot goes exactly as you planned. The key difference I suppose is when things go horribly wrong in RPL, there is rarely an audience waiting to use the Calculator when you're done.

(02-14-2019 09:13 PM)DavidM Wrote:  And I would suggest that RPL is rich enough that there are many different paths to this kind of discovery. Despite many years of tinkering with these systems, I keep seeing people come up with new and interesting ways of solving problems that never cease to amaze.

This too! Often, long, long after I've thought I had read and/or explored all that could be said about how to use a certain feature or command, some brilliant person here show's up with a new twist, approach or solution revealing some new discovery or insight for that technique, thereby resetting expectations on that topic. It's the best reason of all for coming back and reading posts even on topics that are currently 'not of interest'. Using lists on a 50g is a great example of one of those, so you John and Pier4r can take credit too. Thanks for that!

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Programming puzzles: processing lists! - rprosperi - 02-14-2019 09:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)