Sharp EL-W516X Calculation Examples Manual
04-11-2014, 05:27 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2014 06:11 PM by Matt Agajanian.)
RE: Sharp EL-W516X Calculation Examples Manual
(04-11-2014 02:50 PM)lrdheat Wrote:  Just discovered an interesting item that the TI 36pro can do that the CASIO fx-115ES PLUS cannot do...the Casio cannot include a d/dx in a solve problem. The TI can! Enter solve, enter the d/dx, set where x equal to x, enter a guess for x, solve for x, and you get an answer for x when d/dx=0 which will be a min or max of f(x). The variable x now has the number that solve arrived at. If you type in the equation and enter it, you get the value of f(x) at that point. Nicely, since x root of y is available, answers are available for negative numbers where something like 3 root of x is involved.

Funny you should bring that up. In my translation from HP to my 36X Pro, I tried that same method to see if, unlike the 34C, 42S and onward, Solve and Integrate could perhaps be nested. As the 36X Pro's technology is 20+ years later, I thought to test if the 36X Pro would be constrained to the same nesting usage limitation. So, I decided to test that using the most direct approach of finding a local min/max, find a zero of the function's derivative. Lo and behold, when I used the 36X Pro's Solver for an equation of the form d/dx(func|x=some value), it worked!!

Great minds think alike!

**Additional note:

Using this same idea with an example, d(3x^2+5x)/dx|x=10 as the equation and activating the Solver on the Sharp EL-W516X yields a syntax error.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sharp EL-W516X Calculation Examples Manual - Matt Agajanian - 04-11-2014 05:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)