Questions regarding HP Roman character set
09-04-2016, 11:16 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2016 08:00 PM by matthiaspaul.)
RE: Questions regarding HP Roman character set
Thanks for the feedback already. It is nice to know it was worth the effort.

(08-31-2016 03:23 AM)Chris Dreher Wrote:  It also discusses the rational for choosing one possible Unicode codepoint over others when there is more than one character to chose from. It also cites alternative mappings that other people/software have chosen. If you hover your mouse over the images for empty boxes and bad renders, you can see further details on what tool incorrectly rendered the character.
http://www.drehersoft.com/mapping-hp48-text-to-unicode/
Yes, I am aware of your article. But it does not really apply to the HP Roman article, more to the RPL character set article, where it is already among the citations. ;-)
Quote:One correction to make on the Wikipedia article is that the HP48 uses character 160 as NBSP, not character 128, at least for screen display purposes. I might be misunderstanding what the article means by "... because this is the codepoint the former non-breaking space (in the HP 48 series) will be transformed to" when it was discussing character 128.
In the later ISO 8859-1 based HP-48 character set, the angle symbol ∡ is at codepoint 128 (0x80) and NBSP at codepoint 160 (0xA0).

In the older HP Roman-8 based HP-28 character set, the angle symbol and NBSP are swapped; the angle symbol was located at codepoint 160 and NBSP at 128.
I assumed (but haven't found the time to verify) that this is also the translation vector used by OLDPRT/PRTPAR for printing on an HP 82240A printer.
If this assumption would be correct and the vector hasn't changed on the HP-49/50, the euro character at codepoint 160 would end up at codepoint 128 as well.

I won't have the time to investigate the translation vector in the next couple of weeks (and I only have a 48GX and 50g to look at anyway). I could not find this being discussed explicitly in the past, but if someone has this info available in some form already, please provide it... ;-)
Did the translation vector change from the 38/48 to the 49/50 series or to the 39/40 series? After all, the 49 added the euro symbol, and the 39 the -1 index. Can the 39/40 still print on the HP 82240A at all? When exactly (which model) were the glyphs for codepoints 28, 29, 30 and 31 added, and what's the difference between left and right ellipsis?

(08-31-2016 03:45 AM)Chris Dreher Wrote:  I still have my HP 48SX manuals, if that is of any help.
If the SX manuals contain any details not also mentioned in the GX manuals (which I own in paper and electronic form), this would be of help.

Greetings,

Matthias

--
"Programs are poems for computers."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Questions regarding HP Roman character set - matthiaspaul - 09-04-2016 11:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)