Questions regarding HP Roman character set
08-31-2016, 03:23 AM (This post was last modified: 08-31-2016 03:24 AM by Chris Dreher.)
RE: Questions regarding HP Roman character set
Droid48 Reader has the following article about how it maps the HP48 character set to Unicode. It includes images generated from the how the HP48 renders these characters to the screen (does not discuss the printer). It also discusses the rational for choosing one possible Unicode codepoint over others when there is more than one character to chose from. It also cites alternative mappings that other people/software have chosen. If you hover your mouse over the images for empty boxes and bad renders, you can see further details on what tool incorrectly rendered the character.
http://www.drehersoft.com/mapping-hp48-text-to-unicode/

One correction to make on the Wikipedia article is that the HP48 uses character 160 as NBSP, not character 128, at least for screen display purposes. I might be misunderstanding what the article means by "... because this is the codepoint the former non-breaking space (in the HP 48 series) will be transformed to" when it was discussing character 128.

Other than that, this article looks great. I can see a lot of hard work was put into it. Thanks!

(disclaimer: I wrote the Droid48 Reader article)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Questions regarding HP Roman character set - Chris Dreher - 08-31-2016 03:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)