Accurate Normal Distribution for the HP67/97
04-20-2017, 02:13 PM
RE: Accurate Normal Distribution for the HP67/97
(03-24-2017 06:55 AM)Dieter Wrote:  
(03-23-2017 04:43 PM)Willy R. Kunz Wrote:  Of course, giving up vintage mode compatibility would allow adding bells and whistles, like full-precision constants and easy switching between the two models. Using RCL register arithmetic, single-line floating-point constants, INCR instead of "1 +" etc. would also make the program much shorter. And no data card required.
Left as an exercise to the RPN-67 user... ;-)

I consider the Normal distribution CDF one of the most basic transcendental functions so that I wonder why it is not included as one of the "bells and whistles" of the extended version. ;-)

BTW, what is the precision and working range of RPN-67? And does it use BCD or binary arithmetics?

Dieter

I can't tell what version of RPN-67 you're using, but Normal distribution CDF has been part of RPN-67 since version 2.0 (Sep 2013). It's called NORM DIST. There's also Binomial Distribution, Negative Binomial Distribution, Bivariate Normal Distribution, and Poisson Distribution. However, I don't pretend RPN-67 is a statistical calculator, so some functions may be missing... ;-)

Math uses standard double-precision binary libraries, although some additions/subtractions are done in BCD to avoid conversion errors.

Willy
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Accurate Normal Distribution for the HP67/97 - Willy R. Kunz - 04-20-2017 02:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)