Purchase advice questions
04-22-2016, 10:09 PM
RE: Purchase advice questions
(04-22-2016 09:47 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(04-22-2016 09:21 PM)SalivationArmy Wrote:  Are there any models that are not neutered for school/testing use?

Can you clarify a few things, from your comments it's a bit hard to tell for sure:

1. Do you prefer RPN?

I have seen it used and I would like to learn it.

2. Have you used RPL (advanced flavor of RPN with far more power, but also more complex to learn)?

never heard of it.
3. Do you plan to program the machine or is a rich set of built-in commands preferable?

built in would be preferred but I am not against adding function through programming, but the more that is built in the less I have to program.

4. Would you be open to a community sourced solution? (running advanced s/w on existing commercial machines)

Please explain. do you mean custom firmware? if so, hell yes

5. What application areas are you interested in - EE, ME, CE, Pure Math, Statistics, Probability, etc.?

all of it, this is purely for learning's' sake. Though I know for a fact that I hate statistics as it has been taught to me. When you don't understand the value of a particular answer, it's hard to understand the problems themselves. My favorite example of this was from back in grade school. the teacher was instructing us on the use of pi in geometry. To her pi was just a number. she had no concept of WHAT pi was, what it represented, just memorize the damn formulas and stop asking hard questions damn it! Next day after I had figured out what it was, I shared it with the class and all of the sudden they all understood what we had been learning. She was very upset with me for interfering.

6. Will you use a CAS if available?

yes

7. What is the best machine you've used in the past?

a ti model that I forget. it was an 83 or 84 I think. at the time I had no clue that models were geared towards one type of math or another, you just bought the highest model number you could afford, which was stupid in retrospect. I think an 82 would have served best at that time (out of the TI's)

These answers will make it easier to provide advice useful for what you want (vs. what all of us prefer to promote Wink )
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Purchase advice questions - SalivationArmy - 04-22-2016, 09:21 PM
RE: Purchase advice questions - rprosperi - 04-22-2016, 09:47 PM
RE: Purchase advice questions - SalivationArmy - 04-22-2016 10:09 PM
RE: Purchase advice questions - Ron Ross - 04-25-2016, 01:32 PM
RE: Purchase advice questions - Ron Ross - 04-25-2016, 01:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)