newRPL: [UPDATED April 27-2017] Firmware for testing available for download
04-13-2017, 08:10 PM (This post was last modified: 04-13-2017 08:30 PM by Vtile.)
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED February 21-2017] Firmware for testing available for download
(04-13-2017 07:19 PM)pier4r Wrote:  A wiki would be great, for the structure, it comes slowly. If one tries to be perfect at first, it is doomed to fail. Assume "perfection" leads to little results.

Instead on a wiki (wiki4hp.com for example, or hpgcc3 itself) contributors contribute and there will be a contributor, for example Vtile himself, that would fix the layout.

No it needs to have somesort of pre-plan and structure if there is no such, no one can keep track what is deprecated information and what is current and functional etc. Such information is easy to add when someone adds a sentence or two, just add the date you did create the chapter or updated/modified it. You need to take to consideration that ie. NewRPL AURm will be 800+ pages monster when someday it is considered "ready", no one wants to write it twice because the pre-planning were sub-standard.

Wiki itself can serve as a good editing platform, but it is rather heavy in maintenance side (I would assume. I have no experience what you need to take account to run a such server and system) and isn't as straight forward for editors (you need to know the wiki-markup). Wiki also serves better at "dictionaries" not documentations as it is build for encyclopedia publishing. Also the license management might turn a nightmare on the long run, with only a handfull of core contributors to keep it clean. Also what happens to wiki if someone someday ports NewRPL ie. to different hardware .. will it work .. I doupt there would be a mix of two system and everything turns a mess without any informatic value.

One possibility might be a github and openoffice document style lightweight system, but again I don't have any experience on such.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED February 21-2017] Firmware for testing available for download - Vtile - 04-13-2017 08:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)