newRPL: [UPDATED April 27-2017] Firmware for testing available for download
04-13-2017, 02:36 PM
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED February 21-2017] Firmware for testing available for download
(04-12-2017 09:29 PM)pier4r Wrote:  So I'm not sure if I messed around or it is just the 50g. (I used the firmware linked in the first post)

The firmware flashed neatly, like reported here. I was a bit lost due to missing documentation about menus (yes, I read that Claudio either writes documentation or code, hopefully someone can help sooner or later with the docs. Without docs the end user is lost).
The UI is still work in progress and things can/may change based on feedback, perhaps I should take a couple of months off coding and write some basic articles on the site to help newcomers.

(04-12-2017 09:29 PM)pier4r Wrote:  So to display the main menu I need to press SYMB, is that wanted?

Yes, newRPL's main menu is at the SYMB key. Since there's no CAS for now, it makes sense to use that key. Remember that APPS is taken by the 2nd menu.

(04-12-2017 09:29 PM)pier4r Wrote:  For storing instead, I need to press "HIST". Is that wanted? I checked this thread back to page 27, but I did not find precise information how the keyboard is mapped. I thought that STO would have been fine, so I wonder why the decision on HIST.

Same reason: Keys A to F are for the top menu, G thru L are for the second menu, hence STO/RCL had to be relocated. HIST was the best candidate.

(04-12-2017 09:29 PM)pier4r Wrote:  As far as my understanding goes the system should be mostly oriented for RPL programming, but one big limitation , at least for me, would be the missing possibility to connect to the computer via USB. Or at least I did not find out how I can connect to the computer via usb. Using the SD card to load/unload programs and doing tests is possible, but it takes a while.

There's no USB driver yet. What exactly is your preferred workflow in this case? I code all my tests directly on-calc, I'm interested to see what you are trying to achieve in terms of development environment for RPL, perhaps we can define some guidelines and I can work towards that goal.

(04-12-2017 09:29 PM)pier4r Wrote:  my home variables were not overwritten by the flash procedure, nor seen by the newRPL.

You mean after you went back to stock firmware your HOME variables were still there? That means you didn't even give newRPL a chance to fill up the memory then! :-)
In any case, do not trust those variables, as they could've been corrupted. The RAM is persistent in the 50g (unlike most hardware nowadays), and newRPL has no reason to clear up unused RAM, but uses whatever it can take, and only does garbage collection when it fills up all the memory. In your case, it seems you didn't create enough objects to fill up the memory all the way to HOME.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED February 21-2017] Firmware for testing available for download - Claudio L. - 04-13-2017 02:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)