newRPL: [UPDATED April 27-2017] Firmware for testing available for download
04-11-2017, 12:27 AM
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED February 21-2017] Firmware for testing available for download
(04-10-2017 04:20 PM)Vtile Wrote:  I think it needs that addition as it is WIP and sometimes we need to say the obvious out.
Much more than that needs to be said. It is a "WIP that has no foreseeable conclusion."

I applaud the effort. I really do. I am astounded that anyone even started this terrific effort. And truly, the 50g is the last great piece of calculation hardware that HP ever kicked out. The 50g has so much untapped potential. newRPL too has great potential to unlock the real power of the CPU in the 50g. But alas, there is so much functionality missing. Yes, newRPL is a WIP. But if one were to ask, "about when in the future could we expect to get back all the functionality we have now in oldRPL," no one could even come close to giving a realistic answer.

I don't mean to be negative or pessimistic. I am a realist who has watched this project develop. I have a feel for the development pace. And yes, I know it is a labor of love, not a mega corporation's big-money effort. And my heartfelt thanks goes out to the good people working on it. But thanks and gratefulness is a separate matter for discussion. We are discussing "features" and "when," if ever, those features could be expected to appear in newRPL in stable form.

I don't say this to discourage the effort on newRPL. But someone needs to be open and honest about the facts. At the current pace of development on newRPL, I doubt we'd have the current functionality of the 50g in newRPL even 10 years hence. The page of development really is that slow. That's not a knock at anyone. It's just reality. If I can be proven wrong on that point, PLEASE! Prove me wrong. (I really want to be proven wrong. Really.)

So the question at this stage is, when you install newRPL in its current form, is it useable for you? If it is, outstanding. But if it isn't, please adjust expectations. You won't get all the functionality you want tomorrow, next week, next month or even next year. We need to be realistic about that.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED February 21-2017] Firmware for testing available for download - JDW - 04-11-2017 12:27 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)