newRPL: [UPDATED April 27-2017] Firmware for testing available for download
03-03-2017, 02:32 AM
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED February 21-2017] Firmware for testing available for download
(03-02-2017 10:38 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  The S feature doesn't exist in newRPL. Why? Because its purpose is to enable or disable the default behavior. This is exactly what changing the context does. Some contexts exist in the system and have default key assignments (like the stack, interactive stack, editor). Now other (user) contexts are a blank canvas. The context switching will be tied to the Forms engine, you can define as many contexts as you want/need for different activities in your application (like data input, viewing a plot, etc). You only make the custom assignments once at the beginning of your program, then simply switch contexts and keys will activate/deactivate. Context 0 is a wildcard for a key that works on all contexts.
Default behaviors are always there for the standard contexts and cannot be disabled globally (but can be overridden individually with a key definition). When your application ends, context goes back to the stack and all keys go back to normal, whether you cleanup your definitions or not.

In case you override an important key (like ENTER) in the stack and can't use the calc anymore, there's a flag to disable custom keys in the menu. I'll eventually add a shortcut with On+SOMETHING that disables custom keys.

Some of these (impressive) extensions will be very interesting to check-out, but this raises an interesting question about newRPL (which may have been answered long ago and I missed it) and that is: what is the plan for documenting the changes in newRPL from vanilla 50g RPL? Various changes include different syntax, arguments, etc. which is straightforward to document (though not necessarily easy) but some, like this one, introduce totally new concepts, which are harder to document and typically need well thought-out examples to explain.

(03-02-2017 10:38 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  Oh, and there's no 'CST' anymore. You can assign any variable identifier to the menu (as in 'MYVAR' TMENU), in other words, there's as many 'CST' menus as you want, named whatever you want.
There will be (eventually) a key named CST (still don't know where to put it in the keyboard), that will run a menu named 'CST' for old times sake.

Guess I should have asked about CUSTOM, and my 48-ness is showing... This expanded menu scheme sounds great, and clearly what it should have been all along.

Thanks

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED February 21-2017] Firmware for testing available for download - rprosperi - 03-03-2017 02:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)