newRPL: [UPDATED April 27-2017] Firmware for testing available for download
12-08-2016, 04:17 AM
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED November-08-16] Firmware for testing available for download
(12-07-2016 12:56 PM)Vtile Wrote:  Have there been any discussion of any natively supported compressed image format, ie. GIF / PNG ?

This would be handy feature with use of any informatic graphics (equation libraries are the first thing that comes to my mind), as it would make the memory demand smaller and importing and exporting from PC easier than GROB format with almost working 3rd party conversion tools. I'm not suggesting that we shouldn't have Grob for "low level" work, but many graphics are those that just sits on the flash and once in a while you need to see it.

Good topic. This is still in the planning stages, but doesn't hurt to share the idea for public discussion:
* There will be a single API to draw primitives, including text, lines, paths, bezier curves, etc. The API will primarily generate a PLOT object, which will be a compiled vector graphic format, trying to follow closely the SVG commands (but in binary format) so there's an easy path to export SVG graphics.
* Those PLOT objects will be able to be rendered to many different targets, GROBS for starters, but other common formats like SVG, PNG, GIF, etc. could be added as well.
* PLOT objects can be rendered in full or just a window, for example to zoom in or pan on the screen without having to regenerate the entire plot (I guess if you zoom in deep enough you'll need to regenerate the plot at some point).
* You should be able to draw symbolic expressions to a PLOT object (in pretty print), to include equations inside graphics.
The API and many details are yet to be defined, but that's the main idea: you could plot a function in the calculator, export an SVG file and post it on a website without using any external conversion tools.

How does that sound?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED November-08-16] Firmware for testing available for download - Claudio L. - 12-08-2016 04:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 5 Guest(s)