newRPL: [UPDATED April 27-2017] Firmware for testing available for download
11-10-2016, 09:32 PM
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED November-08-16] Firmware for testing available for download
(11-10-2016 08:35 PM)Han Wrote:  Well, I may now have just bricked my HP 49G+ as well. Exact same issues (data abort screen) followed by not being able to re-flash back the the original HP ROM 2.15!!

I don't want to cause an alarm, but please be aware of the issues one of us is having.

Further testing:

Tried to reflash the ROM using 2.15 and USB this time; still no success. The calc continues to reboot into the flash update menu. So I don't think it is an SD card issue.

You did not brick anything.
Pull out the batteries, including the backup batteries. Leave it be for a few minutes to make sure RAM was cleared and try flashing again.
The data abort message indicates there was an old newRPL version installed, which was properly detected (did you have newRPL or 2.15 before?), but somehow RAM memory was corrupted and the routine that verifies if your variable directories are consistent is having trouble to interpret the contents of your RAM (shouldn't, that's a bug I intend to correct, it should verify that pointer is valid before attempting to read from it).
The fact you cannot flash back 2.15 indicates the RAM is indeed corrupted, as even the bootloader relies on a few bytes of RAM to tell it what to do on boot. This is used by the calc OS (Hp one) to enter the diagnostic mode, etc.

All you have to do is clear your RAM.

I'll work on a new firmware version that will do a full memory wipe if you hold a certain key combination when you power on, to prevent this endless loop from happening.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED November-08-16] Firmware for testing available for download - Claudio L. - 11-10-2016 09:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)