newRPL: [UPDATED April 27-2017] Firmware for testing available for download
08-13-2016, 11:35 PM
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED July-25-16] Firmware for testing available for download
(08-13-2016 05:28 PM)Vtile Wrote:  I think ( or "I quess" depending which is less affirmative) if someone is using the F for capacitor or H for inductor are not familiar with the system.
Not sure about that... Similar to "u"/"U" and "µ", I assume one reason to use "R" instead of "Ω" is that the glyphs look similar and that "Ω" is often difficult to type or not available at all (in CAD software even less so than in text processors). "R" expanding to "resistor" is certainly a nice (and influential) coincidence as well, but if that would have been the primary reason for the choice of that character, it would indicate that someone mixed up quantities with units. So, there are good arguments for both. ;-)
Quote:As that british standard [...] indicates that R (resistance) is user for Resistors and C (capacitance) for Capacitors.
Well, that's just the question. ;-) Which character is used in BS 1852 as "factor 1" decimal separator in capacitance values? If I understood you correctly, you don't have the actual standard in front of you either, or could you look it up in the meanwhile? Searching the net, I could not find that being answered with explicit reference to that standard as the source...

Greetings,

Matthias

--
"Programs are poems for computers."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED July-25-16] Firmware for testing available for download - matthiaspaul - 08-13-2016 11:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 5 Guest(s)