newRPL: [UPDATED April 27-2017] Firmware for testing available for download
08-13-2016, 04:28 PM
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED July-25-16] Firmware for testing available for download
(08-13-2016 01:38 AM)Vtile Wrote:  Apparently it is written in the British BS-1852 (70s? This would somewhat fit to the first appearances of the marking style to old schematics (according more google)) that specifies the coding used for Resistor and Capacitor values. I have no copy of it at my disposal.
Thanks for the links and the BS 1852 hint!

Not owning a copy of it either, it would be interesting to know what the standard actually prescribes for capacitors -- I have seen "F" being used for "factor 1" with capacitors (but in one of the posts someone was talking about "C" being used as well) and "H" with inductors (although the standard does not appear to cover inductors at all).

Quite interesting, one of the posts also mentions the usage of E instead of R/F/H. I have never seen this in practice, except for when it was actually meant as shorthand E notation, like in 1E = 1E0 = 1R. Now, is 3E3 meant to be a 3k3 or a 3R3 resistor? ;-) So, something better to be avoided, but still good to know when running into some schematic using it...

Thinking about it some more, I have seen old ads using this notation with currency symbols. In particular I remember a camera equipment ad with a double-stroked dollar-like symbol (at that time, however, I was assuming it would in fact be a dollar, not a cifrão sign).

Some NLS systems even have a facility to define a special "monetary decimal separator" different from the normal "numeric decimal separator". So, there might be more to it, including a possible usage of this convention before BS 1852 and outside the area of electronics...

Greetings,

Matthias

--
"Programs are poems for computers."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED July-25-16] Firmware for testing available for download - matthiaspaul - 08-13-2016 04:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)