newRPL: [UPDATED April 27-2017] Firmware for testing available for download
07-27-2016, 04:39 PM
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED July-25-16] Firmware for testing available for download
(07-26-2016 09:27 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  
(07-26-2016 04:37 PM)matthiaspaul Wrote:  Your Unicode <> OEM conversion is currently hardwired to codepage 850.

Yes, mainly because it's not meant to exchange information with DOS 6.20 anymore. USA uses 437, most Europe and Latin America use 850, so 850 is more widespread than 437 from what I researched.
This won't affect you in any way, it's only to translate short names with strange characters into readable names for the calculator (these files would've been created by older OS). As long as you have a long file name this is not used. I put it there for legacy, to have some way to show a file with strange characters, but code pages are in the past, newRPL is Unicode compliant and not apologizing for it.

Now that I have some more time I'd like to clarify that a bit more:
* If you create a file in newRPL with a character > 127, it automatically thinks a long name is needed, and the name is stored converted to UCS-2 (not to be confused with UTF-16!), there's no translation to any codepage (Windows does this as well, adds a LFN even if the name is short when the name contains strange characters).
* If you open an file name that includes a LFN, then only the LFN is used, therefore there's no codepage conversion.
* Only if you create an 8.3 name with characters >127 in some other OS, those characters will be in the OEM codepage of that OS. newRPL is for simplicity going to interpret those characters as CP850 and convert them to Unicode. This is a very rare occurrence

I just tried creating a file on Windows 10, using a file name with a single letter S sharp (0xDF), and the OS included both a LFN and SFN entries. The SFN used CP437, and when I put the card on the calculator, newRPL displayed the file properly, as it only used the Long name.
So you'd have to use an older OS that is not LFN aware AND using a CP other than 850 to run into problems.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED July-25-16] Firmware for testing available for download - Claudio L. - 07-27-2016 04:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)