newRPL: [UPDATED April 27-2017] Firmware for testing available for download
06-02-2016, 07:58 AM
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED May-06-16] Firmware for testing available for download
Ok, I'll start some torture tests on built-in functions... results will surface on this thread ASAP.

If I've correctly understood the implementation in your code, infinities are just normal numbers with an INFINITY flag set. This could open interesting possibilities:

1. ±∞ are represented just by ±1 with INFINITY flag set
  2. Complex ∞ is represented by (0,0) with real and imaginary parts having INFINITY flag set
  3. Similarly a point at infinity on the complex plane is represented as a generic complex number (normalized to unitary modulus?) with real and imaginary parts having INFINITY flag set. In this way the calc could return meaningful results to programs such as « -∞ 4 XROOT ».

Wolfram Alpha has just taught me that this program is meaningful, and the answer is (sqrt(2)/2,sqrt(2)/2)*∞. Quite logical, if I think about it!

I see two advantages: everything seems to be already in place for implementation, and numeric type will be automatically been taken care of by the system. What do you think?

(06-02-2016 12:51 AM)Claudio L. Wrote:  Thanks for testing, your points are valid, not nitpicky at all. Currently there's no way to distinguish complex infinity from real infinity, I have to think how to implement something like that (infinity and NAN are now real numbers).
All other points will be taken care of, I know some functions were not tested with special numbers and infinity, so please test them all and report (also pass NaN as an argument to see what happens, in most cases they should behave properly but some may not).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED May-06-16] Firmware for testing available for download - JoJo1973 - 06-02-2016 07:58 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)