newRPL: [UPDATED April 27-2017] Firmware for testing available for download
05-27-2016, 02:25 AM
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED May-06-16] Firmware for testing available for download
(05-27-2016 02:05 AM)Claudio L. Wrote:  
(05-27-2016 12:16 AM)jibanes Wrote:  I've just discovered this thread, best thing I've read in a long time.

I've briefly looked at the documentation, and I am left with a few questions:

* When do you think newRPL would be stable (v1.0) and able to replace HP's firmware, is this expected sometime in 2016-2017 or later?
* Would it be opensource and/or which license would it be released under?

Thanks!

Glad you found the project interesting!
Ahhhh... the big question! There's no dates, no pressure. For day-to-day number crunching it's already replaced HP firmware in one of my 50g's for several months, but it's very green in some areas, so I have the second 50g with stock firmware ready for action when I need something that's not implemented. With the calculator being so inexpensive now (and discontinued), I think every 50g owner should buy a spare, and of course flash newRPL on it!
As far as stable, I can say it is quite stable, it hardly ever crashes, but occasionally you hit a wall on something that's not implemented yet and you need it for your code. The alpha status is mainly to indicate the user should lower the expectations in terms of completeness, there's less than 25% of the commands implemented but what's done was done very carefully and is quite stable.
It is open source, BSD licensed as stated in the Sourceforge project page and in the code itself.

Sounds good, how to install?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED May-06-16] Firmware for testing available for download - jibanes - 05-27-2016 02:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)