newRPL: [UPDATED April 27-2017] Firmware for testing available for download
01-20-2016, 03:43 PM (This post was last modified: 01-20-2016 03:47 PM by Claudio L..)
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED Jan-07-16] Firmware for testing available for download
(01-20-2016 02:10 PM)fhub Wrote:  Ok, I've now done the same with the picture from Wikipedia.
For the attachment I've reduced the size to 50% and changed it to JPG just to make the file smaller (but of course I still have the original size in PNG).
I also added 'CLEAR' to the backspace key, because newRPL supports this key - let me know if there are still other key labels working in newRPL, maybe I have removed too many of them.
Looks great!
I'd have to sit down and look at the keyboard bindings to see all the things that were added.
Well work on that over time.

(01-20-2016 02:10 PM)fhub Wrote:  Well, this large picture is certainly a problem for most users, because I'm quite sure that the vast majority doesn't have such a big screen (with a vertical solution of 1600 pixels) - that's almost a UltraHD-TV screen!
So I think it's not a good idea to make your newRPL simulator that big, half of the size would certainly be better (or at least make it resizable).
1600 pixels is not that crazy, if you put the screen on the side of the keyboard you'll end up with about 1000 pixels, which is perfect for fullscreen on the most common 1920x1080 resolution. Tablets nowadays come in 2560x1600, so if we think of possibly releasing a tablet app in 2 or 3 years, it seems about right to use a higher resolution.

(01-20-2016 02:10 PM)fhub Wrote:  Now a few other questions:
1) should I remove the text 'HP 50g Graphing Calculator' and/or the HP-logo from the picture (and maybe replace it with 'newRPL')?
Yes, please, no references at all to HP or the 50g.

(01-20-2016 02:10 PM)fhub Wrote:  2) how should your newRPL program look?
a) Do you want the original HP50g picture and put your display exactly on the original place?
b) Or would you prefer something like my own HP50 skin (2nd attachment) with the display placed beside the calculator? (that would reduce the vertical size again a bit more, so it would fit on more notebook screens)

I think I'll try using QML scripts to create a flexible user interface. Not the same as KML, this is javascript for UI's. Having said that, I think the user should have the choice of screen at the top, left or right. For desktop applications I prefer screen on the side, but if this eventually gets ported to a phone, top is the correct position.

EDIT: My answer wasn't clear enough: QML scripts allow you to resize images like a browser, so use the high resolution and don't worry about it, it can easily be resized on the fly.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED Jan-07-16] Firmware for testing available for download - Claudio L. - 01-20-2016 03:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)