newRPL: [UPDATED April 27-2017] Firmware for testing available for download
01-11-2016, 07:06 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2016 07:07 PM by Claudio L..)
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED Jan-07-16] Firmware for testing available for download
(01-11-2016 05:33 PM)Francois Lanciault Wrote:  I did the update, everything went smoothly.

My programs were restored from strings as expected.

I notice that by "long pressing" any of the vars keys (not the top row, but the six other keys), a three lines preview of the variable content is displayed. Very useful! Maybe it was there before I don't know. Consequently, long pressing the "var" key does not show/hide the var soft menu anymore. As this function been moved to another key ?

Yes, it will be relocated, not sure where yet. It had to be removed for consistency: All soft-menu keys now have the long-press assigned to help.
For the VARS menu, the help shows a preview of the contents of the variable, as you discovered.

(01-11-2016 05:33 PM)Francois Lanciault Wrote:  With floating points calculations I get a quite different speedup than what you implied.

newRPL is about 4.6X faster than the HP-50G
newRPL is about 23X slower than the Prime.

The 100x I mentioned is pure floating point (as in the four basic operations). Transcendental functions are slower, so it depends on how many of them your benchmark has.
Transcendental functions in a benchmark were discussed here, where the speedup of a mix of floating point and transcendental functions shows about twice what you got. Your benchmark shows it is more transcendental-intensive than the benchmark I ran.
Many speed optimizations used to compute transcendental functions simply don't translate well to variable precision, or they need very large amounts of precomputed tables.
Still, once everything is finished I'll be able to spend some time to optimize the speed on these functions. For now, slow and accurate is still better than nothing.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED Jan-07-16] Firmware for testing available for download - Claudio L. - 01-11-2016 07:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)