newRPL: [UPDATED April 27-2017] Firmware for testing available for download
01-11-2016, 05:33 PM
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED Jan-07-16] Firmware for testing available for download
(01-09-2016 08:08 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  There's 2 ways to do that:
  1. Edit the program in the command line, add double quote at the beginning, another one at the end and hit enter.
  2. Put your program on the stack and use ->STR

Just store it in a variable, and after you do the update, you can recompile using STR->.

I did the update, everything went smoothly.

My programs were restored from strings as expected.

I notice that by "long pressing" any of the vars keys (not the top row, but the six other keys), a three lines preview of the variable content is displayed. Very useful! Maybe it was there before I don't know. Consequently, long pressing the "var" key does not show/hide the var soft menu anymore. As this function been moved to another key ?

The thing I like the most is that it is now easy to re-edit program. No more "not-implemented" to erase. Thank you.

With the LN(1) function fixed, I was able to run my floating point benchmark. I used SETPREC to have all calculations done with 16 digits to be more in line with the real HP-50G and Prime.

Quote:So your code is just integers and loops, 2 things that newRPL excels at, which justifies the high multiples you got. When you start throwing in floating point operations, the decimal library brings the speed more in line with reality (about 100x vs the 50g).

With floating points calculations I get a quite different speedup than what you implied.

newRPL is about 4.6X faster than the HP-50G
newRPL is about 23X slower than the Prime.

I am still very happy with the speed, I am just reporting my findings to add new data to your benchmark analysis.

Next I will try to play with the new menu features.

Best regards,
François
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED Jan-07-16] Firmware for testing available for download - Francois Lanciault - 01-11-2016 05:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)