newRPL: [UPDATED April 27-2017] Firmware for testing available for download
12-17-2015, 02:04 AM
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED Dec-02-2015] Firmware for testing available for download
(12-16-2015 04:55 PM)Francois Lanciault Wrote:  
(12-16-2015 02:49 PM)Francois Lanciault Wrote:  I do have a floating point benchmark also (only tested on about 30 calculators) so I will try this one too and report.
What is the command on newRPL to switch to 12 digits or so accuracy ?

François

Hi again Claudio,

I entered this new floating point benchmark in newRPL and to my surprise the end result was different than on all other calculator. After a few debugging minutes, I found the bug: Because new RPL does not return exactly 0 for LN(1) as it should, the program was doing one additional iteration.

Something you intent to correct ? Any easy way out beside testing for a results smaller than 1e-40 and replacing with zero ?

François

Sorry about that, looks like I'll need to handle 1 as a special case to return exactly zero.
To change the precision just use the SETPREC command with the desired number of digits in the stack.
Any number up to 2000 is fine. However, newRPL is more efficient when the number of digits is a multiple of 8. In other words, if you select 12 digits, it will use 16 internally, then results will be rounded to 12 figures, wasting some computing power. But for a benchmark, I think it's fine if you select 12 digits, the difference won't be too much.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED Dec-02-2015] Firmware for testing available for download - Claudio L. - 12-17-2015 02:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 5 Guest(s)