newRPL: [UPDATED April 27-2017] Firmware for testing available for download
11-19-2015, 09:38 PM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2015 09:44 PM by Claudio L..)
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED Nov-14-2015] Firmware for testing available for download
(11-19-2015 03:52 AM)Han Wrote:  On losing 6 keys
Losing the HIST key means we have to "move" CMD and UNDO to something else -- a much harder problem (in my opinion) when keyboard real-estate has shrunk by 6 keys. We have already lost LASTARG via quick keystrokes (RightShift EEX on the HP48). The HIST command could actually be the LASTARG key (or some variation such as HIST being UNDO, and LASTARG being RightShift HIST). Don't forget that the transition from HP48 to HP50 saw the loss of a few main command menus. We also need a quick way to get to the custom menu and settings/modes screen. Then there is the issue of edit commands such as copy/paste. The HP50 has dedicated keys whereas the HP48 had an edit menu. I am ok without dedicated keys to editing, and actually prefer a simple keypress to quickly access an edit menu of sorts. Again, the issue would be: to what key would these actions be dedicated?

There's plenty of room to relocate keys. For example: all numbers have menus. Shift-number shows the GUI menu, while shift-hold-number gives you the soft menu. newRPL doesn't have a need for this dual purpose, so all these keys become available.
Let's analyze what those keys are, whether it's justified to assign them a key and where to relocate them:
  • APPS: This is a super-menu to access other functions, most of them already have a dedicated key assignment. Just pick a seldom used item in this menu and relocate APPS there. For example, the TIME (number 9) function could be shift-9 and APPS could be shift-hold-9.
  • MODE: This doesn't deserve a key. Modes and Settings should be an item in the APPS menu.
  • TOOL: Quite useless, all functions here are readily accessible from the keyboard.
  • VAR: No need for it with dual menu.
  • STO: Relocated to HIST, I think it works fine there.
  • NXT: No need if NXT is a soft key.
  • BEGIN/END/COPY/CUT/PASTE: These only need to be active within the editor. We can keep them where they are, only active when Alpha mode is locked.
  • FILES: Could be an item in the APPS menu, or a shift-hold and a number.
  • CST: This one deserves its own key. I think long-press SYMB is a good candidate, or actually SYMB works as CST, then long-press SYMB brings the Symbolic menu.
  • Complex i: The symbol can stay where it is, but only active when in alpha mode. In normal mode, when it returns (0,1), it's hardly of any use, but could be in the complex soft-menu for easier access.
  • Given that (|) symbol: It's a symbol, so it can stay there, but only active when in Alpha mode.
  • UPDIR: This is very useful, we need to find a key for this one.
  • RCL: Shifted-HIST is fine I think;
  • PREV: No need, the NXT softkey provides this functionality when shifted.

So we only need to find new homes for APPS, FILES, and UPDIR, which shouldn't be too hard.
Also, we need a new home for CMD, which was displaced by RCL. I think left-shift Enter should do LASTARG (as usual) and left-shift-hold Enter should recall the last few command lines.
EDIT: UNDO can stay where it is, no need to move it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED Nov-14-2015] Firmware for testing available for download - Claudio L. - 11-19-2015 09:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)