newRPL: [UPDATED April 27-2017] Firmware for testing available for download
11-19-2015, 02:18 AM
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED Nov-14-2015] Firmware for testing available for download
(11-18-2015 11:04 PM)Helix Wrote:  
(11-17-2015 01:28 PM)Han Wrote:  4. When the secondary menu is turned off, the APPS through NXT keys still behave as they were variable keys (in my opinion, they should not).

I think this question has not been answered. When the secondary menu is turned off, will the APPS through NXT keys behave like in the 50g?
I'm still not sure I will adopt this new dual menu interface. I'm always tempted to use the STO key instead of the HIST key, and it's not very secure for me.

I still don't know what to do with those keys when the menu is not there, so the answer was "to be determined".
I think using it like the 50g might be a step backwards, since you'll never embrace the new keyboard layout or the new VARS menu unless you are forced to.
I use newRPL at work almost every day, and sometimes I need a function that's not implemented yet, so I pull my "workhorse" 50g and I find myself pushing HIST instead of STO (quite frustrating).
Now I'm starting to get used to typing with Autocomplete, which needs that menu and status area to display the suggestion (I look for that suggestion all the time).
If you don't use the VARS menu, you'll also lose Autocomplete, the errors and popups need to take other space, etc.
I understand your reluctance to change, but I think the dual menu is the way of the future. As the UI progresses, it gets more difficult to live without it.

PS: I think the right arrow in the font should be shifted one pixel up. When used in an algebraic expression it looks too low. I tested with the new rules operator :→ and the arrow doesn't center between the dots very well. What do you think?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED Nov-14-2015] Firmware for testing available for download - Claudio L. - 11-19-2015 02:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)