newRPL: [UPDATED April 27-2017] Firmware for testing available for download
10-29-2015, 12:00 AM (This post was last modified: 10-29-2015 12:05 AM by Han.)
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED Oct-19-2015] Firmware for testing available for download
(10-28-2015 11:15 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(10-28-2015 09:45 PM)Han Wrote:  They wouldn't be changed if there is no active command line. The suggestion was to change their behavior while a command line was active. When a command line is active those shifted key sequences only provide a typing aid as is currently implemented in the HP48-HP50 series.

Ok, I see the subtle difference; as in most cases terminology is the culprit. By "active" you mean that some commands have already been entered, but ENTER not yet pressed. Doing so ( [RS] [F1] on a 48G) does the actual RCL and processes/terminates the command line. Is this what you mean as a typing aid?
Here's how it currently works:

1. On the HP48, with nothing in the command line (i.e all you see is the stack) pressing [RS] [A] (or [RS][F1] on the HP50G) would recall the contents of the variable corresponding to the [A] key or [F1] key. And pressing [LS] [A] while an object is in level 1 would replace the content of the corresponding variable with the object on the stack.

2. If the command line is active, then the command line is terminated (as if one were to press ENTER) and then the same (as described above) would apply if not in programming mode. Otherwise if programming mode is active then #3.

3. On the other hand, if the command line is active, and in programming mode (e.g. inside << >>), then pressing [RS][A] would merely type in 'VARNAME' RCL (where VARNAME is the actual name of the variable corresponding to the [A] key). This is what I mean by typing aid. The command line is not terminated and continues to stay active for further editing (presumably a program).

My proposal leaves #1 and #2 as-is. My proposal would, however, eliminate #3 so that [RS][A] would have a different behavior (i.e. either preview the contents of VARNAME, or actually recall it directly into the command line -- maybe the latter since that behavior would more closely resemble #3). This would apply to both programming entry as well as algebraic entry or whichever mode people prefer.

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED Oct-19-2015] Firmware for testing available for download - Han - 10-29-2015 12:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 5 Guest(s)