newRPL: [UPDATED April 27-2017] Firmware for testing available for download
10-25-2015, 11:01 PM (This post was last modified: 10-25-2015 11:01 PM by matthiaspaul.)
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED Oct-19-2015] Firmware for testing available for download
(10-23-2015 01:13 AM)Han Wrote:  
(10-23-2015 01:05 AM)Claudio L. Wrote:  That could work as far as symbols. However, Enter has ANS and →NUM, are you suggesting we relocate those? ANS might not be needed on a full RPL machine but I'm concerned about relocating →NUM.
EDIT: Perhaps only ANS should be replaced with a toggle function, if it's exact goes approx and vice versa.

Well, I was thinking ease of programming by having the two symbols accessible via the keyboard (rather than via a character catalogue). If we want to keep as much of the old keyboard layout as possible, perhaps →E and →A would suffice, and Ans can toggle. I prefer the unix style of naming commands -- use as few characters as possible :-)
On the 48GX, 50g and Prime, pressing . followed by ENTER gives a syntax error. If this would hold true for newRPL as well (sorry, I still haven't found the time to try it "live"), it might be an intuitive hotkey for a toggle. Pressing . multiple times before ENTER has the same effect - just in case, we'd need more than a toggle.

(On the other hand, many other calculators take a single . as 0., or the hotkey might be more useful to be reserved for other special stuff (fractions input?).)

Greetings,

Matthias

--
"Programs are poems for computers."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED Oct-19-2015] Firmware for testing available for download - matthiaspaul - 10-25-2015 11:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)